s*t*a*r*s 6 - pt 92

Start from the beginning

            “Billions.”

            “God,” whispers Darci. 

            “Billions of humans.  Humans, Darci Haim.  In their reality those that are alive are all descendents of my father or Judas’ line.”

            Darci freezes her heart thumps hard in her chest.  “What?”

            “Yes, this plague purges the earth of those who are fully human, or if they do not have enough of our lines in them.  They die.  Quinn thinks it is destined to happen here also and that Spencer is the key to a cure.”

            “That’s why you need me,” says Darci with a soft sigh of relief.

            Dathan looks at her quizzically.  “I do not understand.”

            “I’ve been wondering all day why you wanted this time with me.  I didn’t get it, now I do, we need to find a way…”

            Dathan puts his hand on Darci’s.  “No.  I, well this is awkward, I enjoy being around you.  Conversing with you, Darci.  You have a perspective I have not seen in a long time.  In generations.  I did want to tell you this but my motives for the evening were, and are, to get to know you better.  You are correct we do need to fully understand what Quinn thinks may happen.  Your logic, however, about this evening is flawed.  You are correct when you told me that sometimes one must live in society, to be part of humanity.  This is my way of doing that.  Teaching, working with the girls, and perhaps forging a lasting friendship with you.”

            Darci smiles nervously.  “I wasn’t expecting that.”

            “Nor was I.  I enjoyed the fleeting moments I spent with you when you visited the school.  I found my mind wandering to you.  I was not expecting this.  Though, I am told, that these things do happen.”

            Darci and Dathan sit in silence for a moment and Darci whispers, “Tell me more.”

s*t*a*r*s/J*A*D*E*S

            “Are you sure you didn’t see Natalie?” asks Alysse for the 20th time in ten minutes.  It is driving everyone insane, including the usually unflappable Bev Potter.

            “For fucks sake, no!” yells Camilla giving Lana a look, the chef shrugs, knowing how Alysse is when she gets obsessed with something or someone. 

            “I’ve been calling her, and calling her… wait, hold on, Jo!” yells Alysse as she spots the now FBI agent at the perimeter of the field that everyone is gathering in.  People dressed in an array of colors milled around the FBI agent, who is standing back to back with another agent.

            Jo looks up, eyes covered with dark sunglasses, raising a hand to Alysse who is rushing over to her.  Bev swallows, fearing that Jo will just walk away once she saw her.  Instead, Jo smiles when she sees her, and now Bev is more than confused.  Jo is acting like they hadn’t had a fight earlier that week, what is it with this woman who seemed to be able to let everything flow right over her?  They had fought about living together.  Jo had said that, unequivocally, she was not move in with Bev.

            “Where is Natalie?” asks Alysse as she moved closer to Jo.

            “I don’t know, Natalie’s a big girl and as far as I know she’s has school stuff today,” says Jo.  “I think she was heading to a conference? I don’t know.”