s*t*a*r*s 5 - pt 69

Start from the beginning

            “Please quit staring at me?” mutters Spencer creeping an eye open.  She smiles and rolls onto her side.  “What case are you working on?”

            “Just billing,” sighs Jo.  “Since I’m back with the FBI I never seem to have time for this part of my life.  So are you sure about this – this – mountain climbing thing?”

            Spencer shrugs, her eyebrows move up and her lips curl into a smirk.  “Honestly?”

            Jo laughs, nods, and says, “Oui.”

            Spencer swings her legs off the couch and she props her elbows on her knees.  “I might like it.  It sound so normal, you know?”

            “We went camping once, the set of mothers that is,” says Jo. She gets out of her chair, sits on the corner of the desk.   “Well, everyone other than Shelby, she wasn’t in the fold just yet at that time.”

            “How did that go?” asks Spencer.  She leans in to listen.  Her mother’s voice takes on that French accent she hides so well at times. 

            “Badly.”

            “Why?” asks Spencer not sure she wants to know.  Yet, there are so many things she doesn’t know about her mother that questions just seem natural.  Her own memories are odd, almost fragile.  She calls them up, remembers the feelings but the events are still pale shadows of the things she now experiences. 

            “Well, unlike you and Rylee, Amy and I were not so courageous about our – um – relationship.” 

            Spencer makes a face.  “Really?  Because you’re all out and about now, really?”

            “Really.  We hid it, we’d sneak off to be alone, have sex, make out, and then pretend it wasn’t happening.  It was a different time, in society that is.  But we had this stupid idea that it would drive us apart, as friends,” said Jo.  “We ended up trading blows in a river.  Black eyes, busted noses, it wasn’t fun.”

            “No,” says Spencer trying to hide the smile behind a cupped hand.  “No, really?  You guys fought?  With or without powers?”

            “No powers, they didn’t know about them at the time,” smirks Jo.  “And that brings me to a conversation I wanted to have with you.”

            Spencer groans, falls back onto the couch and covers her ears.  “Oh no!  Is this the sex talk?  Mom!  It happened and I don’t want to talk about.  Please?  Don’t do this to me.”

            Jo gets up and sits next to Spencer.  “Hey, you don’t have all of your memory back yet and as much as what happened happened, I’d like to know that you’re being, well, thoughtful about what you’re doing.  So can I be a mom for five minutes?”

            Spencer looks at her watch and says, “Go.”

            Jo reaches over and covers the watch and says, “I cannot believe I’m saying this.  I was ready for the condom speech, Spence.  Not the lesbian speech, not ready for either speech, I’m lying.  No sex, I’m not ready for you to have sex.”

            “At least I won’t be coming home knocked up,” replies Spencer.  “I’m not ready for sex again, not yet, not now, we got caught up in the moment, Mom.”  Her face is serious and she eases away from Jo.  “I’m not ready for it to be an all the time thing and school is starting and Natalie made it abundantly clear that our asses are not to be doing the horizontal bop on campus.”  Spencer pauses.  “She still cheated on me.  I know I died for her, but, she cheated on me.  I’m still mad about it sometimes.”