the hate is getting to you

It was only a picture. Just one picture that you posted on Instagram of you and Taylor. You were very private when it came to your relationship, not sharing too many moments in the public eye because it was your life and your relationship and you enjoyed keeping things private.

But last night you decided that you would post a photo of the two of you for the first time, Taylor was okay with it so you figured there shouldn't be any problems with it. Never could you have imagined the amount of backlash you'd receive from it... from a single photo.

You were devastated, your self-esteem ruined and your anxiety increasing as the hate only continued to roll it.

Sure, there were positive comments, but it felt like there were more negative than positive.

You choked back a sob as you stared at your phone, the comments coming in waves. You knew that dating Taylor would come with things like this.

Sadly, the world isn't always kind and people can be rude and hateful. But you considered yourself to be a tough cookie, thinking that you could handle it and for a while, you did.

For a while you handled the negativity pretty well, your skin feeling thick and your self-confidence better than it had been in a while.

You threw your phone across the room before burying your face in the pillow, sobs wracking your whole body.

Taylor appeared in the room seconds later unbeknownst to you, her heart shattering when she saw you in tears. She walked over to you slowly, crawling into bed next to you and whispering your name softly.

"y/n? What happened, darling?"

You shook your head and continued to sob, not putting up a fight when she carefully moved your body over to her lap.

"Honey, tell me what's going on."

Her voice was soft and quiet, soothing, and loving. She continued to comfort you as you sobbed, trying to coax you in to opening up to her.

About twenty minutes later you finally began to calm down, your body still trembling and your breathing uneven but you were slowly coming around.

"Tell me what's going on y/n, "

You took a deep breath and kept your face buried in her shirt.

"The hate. They absolutely hate me, Tay. What did I do wrong to make them hate me so much?"

She bit her lip, fighting to hold back her tears. "You didn't do anything wrong y/n, absolutely nothing. I'm sorry you have to deal with this, you don't deserve it."

She stroked your back as your breathing started to even out. You finally looked up at her, your eyes red and puffy with a few tears continuing to fall but you were still looking at her and that was progress within itself.

"I wish that people weren't so hateful and degrading, but you are not whatever they're saying you are. I know it can make you feel less than and worthless, but I promise that you aren't. Whatever mean and vulgar names they are calling you, don't listen to them. Don't believe them for a single second, darling, because you are everything to me. I love you a lot. I wish we lived in a perfect world where I could live out my dream and be with you and people wouldn't judge us, but we don't. But that doesn't mean that I'm gonna hide and be ashamed of this, of us. You're so much stronger than you give yourself credit for, babe."

By the end of her speech you were in tears again, but this time for a whole different reason. You were so grateful to have someone like Taylor; Someone so kind and loving... you felt so lucky.

"I love you, Tay. Thank you."

She smiled at you and kissed your forehead, whispering sweet nothings against your skin.

You felt so much better as she held you in her arms, refusing to feel ashamed of how much you love her.