Telling your parents about your relationship (requested)

You straightened out your dress as you stared at your reflection in the mirror. Tonight you were going to see your parents for the first time in a while. Since you lived on your own, you didn't see your parents much, but you talked to them every day.

Except you were keeping a big secret from them... that you were dating Taylor.

You've been secretly dating Taylor for a year now, your relationship was private but loving and intimate behind closed doors and you loved it being that way.

It wasn't that your parents wouldn't accept you or that they wouldn't like Taylor, it's just that no one knew about your relationship yet, and you liked keeping it that way.

Your parents had invited you over for dinner and you asked Taylor to come along. The possibility of telling your parents about your relationship tonight were high and Taylor was okay with that, as long as you were.

You looked over to find Taylor standing in the doorway with a big smile on her face.

"You look gorgeous. Are you ready?"

She walked up behind you and wrapped her arms around your waist. She pressed a couple kisses against your cheek and locked eyes with you in the mirror, both of you smiling at each other before she closed her eyes and buried her face in your neck.

"I'm ready. Are you?" She nodded her head and grabbed your hand, letting you grab your purse before going to the car and heading towards your parent's house.

You weren't sure why but you felt nervous. You knew that your parents were huge fans of Taylor and the thought of them finding out about your relationship made you a little nervous.

Taylor parked the car and unbuckled her seatbelt, about to ask you if you were ready to go inside, but then she saw your hands trembling and the sight of you feeling so nervous made her forget about everything else.

"Oh, honey. What's wrong?"

"Nothing really. It's stupid."

"It's not stupid if it's making you so anxious, baby. What's going on?"

"This could be the first time we tell people we're dating and I'm a little nervous. I know my parents know about my sexuality and everything, and they've always been so supportive of that, but you're... Taylor and my parents-"

"Hey. Forget about all of your worries, okay? Whatever happens in there happens. It's not gonna make no difference to me if they recognize me, I'm used to it. I love you y/n. Your family is important to you and you're important to me, so they need to be important to me too. We'll be fine."

She kissed you softly before pulling away and getting out of the car, coming over to your side and opening your door. You giggled and got out before walking up the steps to your parent's house and ringing the doorbell.

You felt Taylor grab your hand in hers and squeeze it, your heart pounding against your rib cage when the door opened and you came face to face with your parents for the first time in a long time.

They immediately pulled you in for a hug, one that was way overdue and bone-crushing, but you didn't mind.

You hugged them back before pulling away and clearing your throat, gesturing towards Taylor who was standing next to you smiling brightly.

"Mom, Dad, this is Taylor."

"Oh hello! We know who you are! Come on in! Any friend of y/n's is a friend of ours."

They hugged her before you all went inside, Taylor desperately wanting to intertwine her fingers with yours but fighting the urge just in case.

You smiled as your dad showed Taylor around while you sat on a chair in the kitchen, watching your mom finish up dinner.

"My baby girl! It is so good to have you home again. Your father and I missed you so much!"

"I missed you guys too."

"So? We gotta address the elephant in the room. Taylor, hm?"

She smirked and rubbed your arm making you giggle and shake your head.

"Is She your girlfriend?"

"Um well.."

just as you were about to tell your mom, you heard Taylor's laughter and your dad's voice coming closer, both of them entering the kitchen seconds later. Taylor smiled at you before walking closer to you, sitting down next to you, and grabbing your hand underneath the table.

Dinner was served a few minutes later and during the meal you guys just made small talk. Your parents were talking amongst themselves and Taylor took the opportunity to lean over and whisper something in your ear. 

"I think we should tell them."

"Are you sure?"

She nodded and squeezed your hand making you smile. You cleared your throat and your parents looked over at you two with big smiles on their faces.

"Mom, Dad, I have something to tell you."

"Okay. Go on sweetie, you can tell your mother and I anything, you know this."

"Taylor and I are dating. We've been secretly dating for a year now."

Your parents looked at the both of you before looking at each other and back at you two. Silence filled the air for a few seconds and you felt your heart beginning to race as your anxiety picked up, until they smiled and grabbed Taylor's hands in theirs.

"Welcome to the family, Taylor!"

You both breathed a sigh of relief, Taylor looked over at you and smiled.

"Thank you. You guys raised a great woman."

"Yeah she's incredible, isn't she? Say, Taylor, would you like to see some baby photos of y/n?"

You groaned and rolled your eyes. Taylor laughed and stood up from her chair, your parents following as they lead her into the living room and grabbed all the photo albums, setting them down in front of her and talking about every embarrassing photo of you.

Even though you were slightly embarrassed, you couldn't help but feel relieved. You were so nervous over how your parents would react when, in reality, it wasn't a big deal to them.

You loved knowing that they loved her, because so did you, and you weren't planning on letting her go any time soon.