Chapter 374 - "Back in Business..."

Clara's PoV

'Morning'

'Go away' I mumbled, looking at him through one eye, and then looked back down on the pillow.

'Well good morning to you too' he scoffed. 'To think I make you a pre birthday breakfast and you treat me like that?'

'I thought I could smell eggs' I asked, suddenly waking up and glaring through beaded eyes at him. 'Mine?'

'Only if you get up' he suggested, as he smirked then froze at the bedroom door then looked at me.

'What?'

'Shush' John scolded, as I went to join him looking out the crack of the bedroom door.

'Blimey. You've grown haven't you junior?' Richard said as he had scoped Autumn out of the basket she was in, in the lounge, and kissed her forehead. 'As lovely as my little nephew dude is... He isn't you' he chuckled, placing her down, again then dug through his bag.

'What are you doing?' John scoffed.

'Going to say hi. He knows we're here because Autumn's in the lounge'

'Who's to say someone else isn't watching her?'

'John, please. Your just making it awkward by keeping us separated. I don't want to have to avoid him every time I go into a room' I mumbled, staring up at him with a small smile.

'Fine. Do what you like' he scoffed.

I exited the room quietly, and just watched Autumn grab hold of the plush toy he had handed her and she made a full grab for a chunk of his hair.

'Whoa. Grabbing? When did that happen?' He scoffed at her, and to be fair she had quite a grip.

'Couple of days ago. I'm sure she ripped out a huge chunk of my hair' I said, going towards the kitchen and flicked the kettle on.

'Hmm. Little dude was way past the grabbing stage. Almost sitting up. Was eating my food and everything. But he was born in June so I guess three months older than Autumn' he shrugged.

It felt like there was tension in the room that there just didn't need to be. I hate awkward moments and I really hate tension between people.

'Yeah. She's got quite a grip' I laughed awkwardly letting the silence continue onwards, for a few moments, but thankfully I had escaped it a little by making a cup of tea.

It helped to keep me occupied whilst he tickled her tummy and she giggled, her baby giggle.

'You've got a great tan' I said then slapped myself mentally for saying that. Now it just sounds like I was trying to flirt.

'Yeah. Mexico tends to be pretty warm' he nodded.

'How was your umm-- Mum?' I asked, prying into his private life - instantly regretting it, cringing at the awkwardness of all this thinking I should just go and crawl into a hole and not climb back out.

'She's... Well she's Mum. I dunno. She turned up for like the first 20 minutes of the ceremony completely plastered and off her face, then she was a complete embarrassment at the reception. So had we had to remove her from the hall - but then she collapsed in bed and we didn't see her for the rest of the night which was just fine by me' he scoffed.

'So you had a good time then?' I joked.

'Shockingly I did. As soon as the wedding was over me and the little dude had some bonding time while they had their wedding night, and then after that I spent a lot of time on the beach I guess. Hit up a couple of clubs and parties, and chilled basically. It was good. I defiantly needed the break'

'Well I'm glad you had a good time' I said with a smile then stood up, heading back to my room.

'He's in your room isn't he?'

'Umm-- no'

'I know when you lie Clara' he said rolling his eyes and went to hand her over to me but I backed away.

'You take her. Look after her for the day. I know you would have missed her' I smiled at him, as he looked at me wearily.

'You sure?'

'Absolutely. I've got work anyway' I said, wandering back to my room. 'Hmm. Are we okay though? I really don't want things to me awkward' I mumbled before disappearing again.

'Don't be silly. Of course we're okay. Come on Oswald. We're totally back in Business'

- - -

'Dude. What's up?' John said, having snuck out of Clara's room and back to his room before coming out of his room, trying to be subtle as if he had just woken up.

Clara had left about 20 minutes prior to him coming out of the room - but Richard wasn't stupid.

'Nice try dude. I know you've been in Clara's room' Richard said rolling his eyes. 'Clara said I could watch the munchkin for the day, so I'm taking her to the park for a bit. Wanna come?'

'Really? Is this a good plan? You and me in the same room?'

'I'm not going to punch you in public. And to be quite honest - it wasn't as hard coming back as I thought, I don't hate you as much as I thought I did' he shrugged.

'What do you mean?'

'I rebounded. I went to parties. I met people. I moved on. I didn't forget about Autumn and I won't not have Clara as my friend. She is literally my best friend - so if you can't take it tell me now' he mumbled.

'I don't want to stop Clara from seeing people. I don't want to be one of those pushy boyfriends who stops her from seeing her ex because you guys have a bond that I will just never understand' John admitted.

'Anyway. We have to get on. I'm not going to forget about Autumn. She's like a daughter to me' Richard said, then tuned to John. 'How did it go with Felix?'

'I gave him money... He fucked off. Problem solved. But please don't tell Clara just yet I'm not quite sure if she'll be thrilled or annoyed'