Chapter 380 - "Moving on.."

Clara's PoV

I rang the doorbell of a house that was shockingly familiar to me.

I really wasn't sure where else to go, and whilst I was spending all my time trying to ignore the awkwardness between us - Autumn was in distress, and could really do with a bath and sleep.

'Clara?' Richard asked with a gasp, as I stood on his doorstep and pretty much collapsed into tears, with the rain soaking me and Autumn seeing as it had taken me a good 5 minutes to pluck up the courage to knock.

'I-- I didn't really know where else would take me' I sniffed, as he took the car seat immediately from my hand, and allowed me in.

'What's wrong?' He asked placing the car seat down and looked me in the eye, which was pretty much where I broke, collapsing into sobs in his arms. 'Hey. It's okay. Everything is going to be okay' he hummed.

- - -

'Here. Get some tea into you. Hot tea makes everything better' Richard smiled, handing me the red mug that was my favourite mug when I would stay, and handed me a towel to dry my hair.

'Where's Autumn?'

'Don't worry about her. I've fed her and bathed her a little. She's sleeping soundly right now. Poor things tired'

'I know. I was going to put her to sleep I swear, but then I got home and it was all just such a mess'

'Why?'

'I umm- I walked in on my Dad having -- well you know...'

'Sex? Eew' he shivered.

'I know' I sniffed.

'You didn't handle it well then? Either you didn't or he didn't?'

'Me I guess. Turns out the woman is his wife Richard. She's some American skank that is 15 years younger than him that is obviously a gold digger that only ever got with him so that she could persuade him into marriage and get a green card into the country. What the Fuck is all that about?' I scoffed.

'Whoa. That's intense' he said, stroking my arms, and for the first time in a while I felt a little comfort.

'It's more than intense Richard. I can't believe he's moved on. I mean like I snapped at him, almost 25 years of marriage meant nothing to him if he can just move on'

'Maybe - he felt like now was the right time to move on Clara? He's still young In some respect. 50 isn't old in this day and age' Richard pointed out, as he handed me a tissue to wipe my eyes.

'I know that'

'Do you think maybe it's you that's not ready to move on? Maybe it's you that doesn't want to let her go?'

'She's my Mum Richard'

'And it has been 5 years. He's done his grieving and maybe he's found someone who is on the same level as him. Do you actually know anything about her?'

'I don't need to. She's a gold digger. What logical person gets with someone who's 15 years older than them unless it's for money?'

'Plenty of people now Clara. We're not living in the 1900's anymore. It just happens' he soothed.

'God has it really been 5 years since Mum died?'

'You are 20. So yes'

'Wow. She was my rock. I can't believe all the things I've got through without her' I sighed.

'No. Me neither. I never met your Mother but it seems as though you were both pretty close at the time'

'She knew about John' I sighed, curling up into a ball and faced away from him. 'I told her all about him' I whispered, closing my eyes, just making things between us way more tense.

'Go to bed Clara'

'I should get back to uni'

'Do you really think I'm going to let you drive back to the flat in this state and at this time of night? Go to bed. I'll let John know where you are. I'll watch Autumn all night I promise. Then in the morning you can go back home and see your Dad before heading back to uni' he assured making sense out of the whole situation. 'But maybe call him or drop him a text first this time' he smirked.

'Don't even joke about that. I think I'm going to have nightmares' I scoffed, pecking his cheek and ran upstairs to see Autumn before heading to bed myself.

- - -

'Morning little one' I smiled, when I snuck into Richards room, and lifted her out of the basket. 'Come with me' I whispered, taking her down the stairs and sat in the lounge with her.

I don't remember falling back to sleep with her in my arms as I was feeding her but I remember being woken with a start as she was removed from my arms. 'Your going to choke her with milk' John scoffed.

'I thought you were working all weekend?'

'I am. But then Richard said you were having a breakdown and some issues that I should really be around for and so I decided that id swap and work Monday instead. So what's up' he asked as he made stupid faces at Autumn.

'It's complicated. I'll tell you in the car I guess. But I suppose I have to at least go and see him. I'm not a child anymore. I'm a proper adult and have a a child of my own' I said standing up with a yawn.

'You might want to consider showering first' he smirked.

'Why?'

'Because no offence but your not smelling lemony fresh as you normally do' he chuckled.

'I'll second that' Richard laughed, not really realising how it sounded and made the room rather more tense than I would have wanted it to be.

'I'll go and get changed' I said running away from my problems once again.

- - -

'Thanks I guess' John mumbled to Richard. 'You know... For taking her in last night and looking after her in that state'

'I'd do it again' Richard scoffed at John, in annoyance, as John ran upstairs after Clara.