Chapter 271 - "Richard Junior...?"

Clara's PoV

'Where do you propose your going Mr Smith? Your on the heart ward and connected to monitors for a reason' a nurse scolded.

'My best friend - well former best friend - my friend... He's up on intensive care. I just need to go and see him' John said about to stand.

'Good god don't stand. You'll cause all sorts of problems. I'll take you if you insist but for goodness sake let me get you a wheel chair' he snapped.

John was thankful that he didn't have to sneak around the hospital looking for the intensive care unit whilst barely being able to move or stand on his foot.

And was even more relieved when he walked into the ITU to see Richard breathing with support.

'Dude. Why did you do this to yourself. This was all my fault man' John scolded himself.

'You'd better believe it' Richard said coming out of a haze.

John thought he was hearing things as he hobbled into the seat. But turns out he wasn't when he turned to look at John.

'Richard. God dude. I had no idea this was going to happen... I swear'

'It's fine' Richard coughed.

'It's not fine'

'Dude yes it is'

'Are you alright?' John asked.

'I don't really know. Someone said something about an operation. I guess that's what comes next. But my head is pounding. How are you anyway? You was the one in a state the last time I saw' Richard said trying to distract himself from his pain.

'I'll live. Be walking again in a couple of weeks. I guess I owe you one'

'Don't mention it' Richard said, wanting so much to rid the pain. 'Can we call a truce? Be fiends again?' Richard asked going back into a deep sleep. It was the drugs that were forcing him back to sleep, so John decided to just sit by him for a while.

At least until the next time he wakes.

'Truce it is mate' John said ignoring his own pain and feeling sorry for Richards.

- - -

'Oh my god. Clara just keep calm' Lilly instructed. It was the stress and I knew it.

It was the stress with John that killed my baby last time.

'When was the last time the baby moved?' Marcus suddenly asked turning up.

'Umm. Dinner. Last night. It hasn't moved since then'

'Okay. Just get up gently and come with me then. We'll get you down to maternity and they'll check everything is okay' he assured.

'It's not okay though is it? The babies gone again all because I insist on making arguments with people. I do it to myself and cause the stress'

'Clara there's 101 reasons why this could be. Women have complications with pregnancy all the time. Stop worrying because it makes the situation worse and just keep calm' Jane said as I followed Marcus out of the relatives room with Jane and a nurse as they led me towards the maternity ward.

- - -

'Can I go and see Richard?' I asked suddenly. I felt like I really needed to go and see him again.

'Are you serious Clara. Think about yourself for a minute' Lilly said. 'He's go a machine breathing for him, you won't miss anything' Lilly snapped.

'Did you really just say that?'

'I feel for him I do but you known right' she scolded.

'No Clara. I don't want you putting the baby at risk. You were bleeding and your at risk as it is. We'll completely let maternity check the baby over and then I'll take you up to them' she said rolling her eyes.

- - -

'How are you feeling Clara?' Alex my midwife asked, as she drew back the curtain and came in with the ultrasound machine.

'Fine. Tired but fine'

'And I've heard the baby is kicking again? That must have been a sigh of relief in a situation like this. All the stress'

'Yeah. They they were only light flutters about 20 minutes ago. Barely even count as kicks' I muttered lifting my top.

'Well any type of movement is good, and you were bleeding right?' She asked making conversation as she moved the scanner around, my stomach. I knew she was being thorough because obviously it's a baby at stake.

'Mm'

'And your interested in the gender? Did you want to wait for the Dad?' She asked.

'John's... Well I don't know. I guess I'd rather have some good news for once... So no. Richard Junior or Sun' I nodded sure.

'Richard Junior?'

'It's just a joke between me and my boy friend. He's adamant it's a boy. But I'm not too sure'

'What makes you think that?' She asked obviously at this point knowing the answer.

'I don't know. Just the way I feel. John did think it was a girl but now a boy too because Richard junior decided to move around so early' I muttered. 'And if it's a girl I'll be 30 quid up - if it's a boy I'm a tenner down' I mumbled.

'Ahh. You've been taking bets?' She smirked.

'Like I say - just a joke between me and my friends. I wasn't too sure it was a good idea - but they all seemed to be finding it fun' I shrugged.

'Did you want to see Richard junior move around?' She asked turning the screen, towards me and keeping the scanner on my stomach.

It was shocking because it was moving around good an proper in there, and it was a lot bigger than last time.

'How comes it only feels like light flutters if its moving around like that? It looks literally like it's dancing or running or something' I gasped.

'The baby still isn't as big as you would think. As soon as she's a bit bigger you'll feel more movement - but I wish you luck if she's going to be moving around like that' she smirked.

'And it's okay? Richard Junior is okay? Not hurt or anything?' I asked wanting to know now. She'd kept me in suspense for long enough.

'Well you'll be surprised the things baby's can go through. Stress is the most common cause of a complicated pregnancy. You need to take it easy. The only reason she would have stopped kicking for a moment is if she was stressed.' She chuckled. 'I'll print a couple of copies off for you, and bring a video down later if you want.' she smiled, packing up and stepping out.

'Wait? What was the gender?'

'Clara I did drop three... No four hints - but I would think up another name. Richard doesn't really have a girly ring to it' she chuckled making me sigh.

'Not Richard Junior then' I smiled clutching the piece of paper.