Chapter 287 - "Literature..."

Clara's PoV

'No having the kid before I get back from Mexico. I want to be right there when little Richard a Junior enters the world' Richard smirked hugging me tight.

'First up. She's not due for three more months... I don't think it will be a problem. Second you won't actually be in the room when I do give birth'

'Nothing I ain't seen before though is it?' He smirked.

'No. But even still. I don't even know John will be there yet. If he's not then maybe you will' I grumbled. 'Anyway. Just have a good time and bring me back some Mexican mementoes. Try not to kill your Mum' I laughed.

'I can't promise anything' he chuckled. 'I'm so going to get a tiny hat for the baby. Oh my god she's going to love it' Richard said way overthinking it.

He loves the baby more than I do. And it's not even his.

Sometimes when I look at how excited the pair of them get when talking about the baby I wonder who's actually carrying it.

'Wait' I said grabbing his wrist and he turned back around.

'Mm?'

'You wasn't seriously going to go without giving me a kiss right?' I accused with a raised eyebrow.

He coughed and turned to look at John.

'Pft. Don't let me hold you back dude' he said turning the other way, as I leant up, wrapping my arms around his neck and kissing him deeply.

'What?' I asked as John looked at us and pretended to vomit.

'When I said don't hold back...'

I poked my tongue out, kissed him again, and turned around.

I waved him off and turned back down the road, stopping in at the book shop on the way home. John was driving Richard to the airport to save on parking, so I thought that this is my chance.

'Clara Oswald. I never thought I'd see your face around here again' Justin smirked.

'Well here I am. Present and correct. Actually looking for some temporary work if your up for hiring a pregnant woman?'

'Your experienced... If your serious then you can monitor orders and balance the books?' He said almost instantly.

'Seriously? You'd let me work? Cause I could do with some extra money and it's getting a bit boring and depressing sitting around all day. I'm not due for two months. I can be totally helpful' I said suddenly excited.

'Yes, I'd love to have you back. Your Dad told me about the pregnancy. He mentioned it in passing. Should I say congratulations?'

'Say it if you like. I'm not that interested though' I shrugged.

'Well I'm training a girl who's just as interested in books as you are. She moved from a couple of towns away. You should get to know her and help her out organising books'

'Ooo. When can I start?'

'Well she's out back now if you want to go and say hi. If your not busy - feel free to stick around today. We'll talk times later' he chuckled.

I stepped out back and hung my jacket in its familiar place, then rolled the sleeves of my cardigan up and set about organising the back office again.

I know it seemed like a boring job, but it was something to do and exercise during pregnancy is a good thing. Plus I was starting to go stir at home and I'd only been back a few days. It would also be nice to support myself a little more instead of relying on my Dad all summer.

If I hadn't got pregnant I would of got a supermarket job, but nobody wants someone who could pop a kid any minute.

Working with Justin wouldn't involve any labour. Especially if this new girl is any good.

I whipped my head round when she came down the stairs and smiled at her. God she looked so young.

I used to look that young once.

I could see she had a pile of Shakespeare books and placed them on the table.

'Hi. Sorry. I'm Clara. I'm going to be working here this summer too. I normally do every year' I smiled at her.

She looked at me a little nervous until Justin came out the back. 'Ah Ashildr... You met Clara? Sit down. Chat for a bit. You'll be working with each other all summer. In fact get out in the shop and organise the GCSE revision guides. There going like wildfires this time of year' he instructed.

I followed the brown haired girl, with deep brown eyebrows and I think brown eyes... I couldn't be sure. She was shorter than me though by no less than an inch, she must be 5ft. Maybe 5"1 and I am definitely 5"2.

- - -

'So how old are you? If you don't mind me asking?' I questioned her, just to make conversation. I'm normally very good at making conversation with new people but she reminds me of myself.

Aside from the fact that she wasn't wearing tight dresses (that I still insisted wearing - even at 6 months pregnant) she was wearing literally everything black.

Her hair was really long though and had really cool highlights in it.

'17. I swear I'll be 18 soon. I can't wait until I am' she said.

'When's your birthday then?'

'August'

'Doing anything fun for your 18th? It's always fun. Although now I think about it I got a car'

'Going out with my mates. I got a car for my 17th so I'm just going out' she mumbled handing me some more books, as I positioned them on the shelf. 'What about you?'

'19. God I'm old now. Didn't think I'd ever be nearing 20. Once you hit your 20's that's it. It's all over'

'Are you at uni?'

'Yeah, back for the summer'

'Back for the summer and to have a baby?' She smirked. Then her mouth formed an O. 'Oh god you are pregnant right? I didn't just insult you and call you fat did I?'

'No. I am pregnant. It's just complicated is all. So did you go to Oakwood? Just finished sixth form?'

'Yeah. Hated it. Can't wait to get to university. The science school is going to be great' she said excitedly.

'Wait? The one in London? No way'

'Yeah. Why?'

'My ex-boyfriend goes there. Jesus you must be smart if you passed all the tests for that and got the grades' I chuckled.

'Yeah but no experience. That's the only thing I'm lacking' she mumbled.

'Hey. My ex-boyfriend works at Unit in London. I bet he can get you some experience if you want it over the summer? I can sort it out for you?'

'Really?'

'Oh yeah. Now I see your into Literature?' I smirked motioning to all the Shakespeare shamelessly piled by her bag'

'Love it'

'You and me are going to get on very well' I grinned.