Chapter 328 - "Baby Bubbles..."

Clara's PoV

I could do this. I know for sure I can. She's just a baby. How hard can it be to look after her?

I left her in the buggy seeing as she was still sleeping, so I took that opportunity to clean up a bit and do some washing.

My life had been so hectic that I was a complete mess.

Then I decided to face time my Dad. It was 6 o clock at night here which meant it was 10 in the morning for him and I could pretty much guarantee that he would be awake.

'Hey Dad' I smiled into the camera as he got it working correctly and looked at me.

'Wow. You look really well Clara. Are you sure you had a baby 11 days ago?' He joked.

'Pretty sure. I was there' I chuckled. 'She was discharged yesterday so we're at home. She's just waiting for her Grandad to get home so she can meet him' I laughed.

He grumbled hysterically about the idea of being a Grandfather. 'Can I see her?' He asked as I got up, slipped her into my arms and showed her to him. 'She's adorable Clara. A bit pixelated but adorable' he said with almost a tear to his eye.

'When will you be home?'

'My flight leaves on September 15th and I'll land on the 16th. I can't wait to get home to see you and junior' he said excitedly. I'd never seen him so excited.

'I can't wait to see you either Dad, but she does have a name' I admitted. I was never close with my Dad but right now I wish he was here.

'Yeah... Autumn wasn't it? Why did you decide to name your baby after the seasons. I don't understand that. It would be like calling your child after the weather, or food'

'People do, do that Dad. For example Apple... Or Sun' I smirked thinking about how that was what Richard wanted to call her, but I didn't really like the name at all.

'Are you alone?'

'Yeah. I kicked everyone out, they've all been so helpful and I don't mean to sound selfish but I haven't even changed her nappy by myself yet. But we went and got her birth certificate today'

'And is she John's baby?' He asked apprehensively as I shook my head.

'I'll explain more when your home' I whispered into the camera as she started to get fussy in my arms. 'I'm going to have to go Dad. I think she needs feeding' I smiled, knowing that the hospital had pretty much put her on a schedule for me.

If I feed her now, then she'll need feeding at 11 before I go to bed. Ha. I was going to be a great Mother. I don't know what I was afraid of.

I grinned to myself, with her in my arms and made up a bottle of formula successfully realising we had gone through almost a tub already in just a few days, so I texted John to bring some formula on his way round tomorrow.

Once she was fed, burped and settled in the basket in front of me again, I found I missed her not being in my arms.

I felt a bit sad without her in my arms.

'Hey Clara. Richard said that you'd thrown them out? How comes?' Lilly asked as I answered the phone and looked at the basket, and placed the teddy next to her.

'Yeah. Richard needed sleep. They let me sleep for like 14 hours straight. She's my baby. I should be looking after her for a bit' I said looking over again and chuckled. 'She's making tiny baby bubbles in her sleep' I smiled.

'Oh my god. I bet that's adorable. Send me a video' she said excitedly as I muted the call and took a video of her cute baby bubbles. 'Let me come over Clara' she begged.

'No. I want to prove I can look after her. I want to prove that I don't need everyone's help all the time. I made such a fuss about giving her up and handing her over but I wouldn't give her up now for the world, no matter who her Father is' I scoffed.

'Okay. Well call me if you need me. I'll come see you tomorrow' she said as I hung up.

I smiled to myself and shifted the basket upstairs into my room. I was looking forward to getting into a routine and being able to go back to doing work and lectures.

I'm so happy to have got rid of her out of me, I could fit into clothes that I couldn't before.

I felt really quite relieved to be in my own pyjamas. Clothes that are once again fitting, and curled up on my bed with my baby next to me in the basket and put something on my laptop.

I wasn't really paying much attention to what was on the computer screen, more about keeping an eye on what Autumn was up too next to me.

- - -

I had set an alarm for the wake ups during the night and found that it wasn't as bad as I thought - of course I didn't actually sleep more than half an hour. I just found I had this serious temptation to sit and watch her sleep and found shockingly that it was really quite soothing.

'Your so cute when you sleep' I whispered to her as she looked up at me from the basket with her eyes locked on my face. 'Your so cute that you've got no idea how much trouble you can get yourself into one day' I smiled and stroked her cheek. 'Now. Which book shall we read. I didn't choose it because I was pretty unorganised, but your Daddy... The Daddy that's going to help look after you anyway... Well he chose them. Maybe the one about the monkeys' I smiled, settling into the bed, and read her the story.