Chapter 212 - "Tipping Point..."

Clara's PoV

'Knock knock' Lilly said taking a deep breath in the doorway and stepped into the hospital room.

Richard glanced up from the bed, he was in on his phone and his eyes nearly popped out of their sockets. 'What do you want? Because I'm not in the mood for another fight Lil' Richard said exhausted just thinking about another argument with her.

'No arguments' she whispered, taking a step closer to the bed. 'I just came to see how you were'

'Why? What's the catch?' Richard asked confused.

'There's-- There's no catch Richard. John said that you landed in glass pushing Clara out the way. I just thought it was brave that's all' she shrugged sitting so close to him on the edge of the bed.

'I'm fine. Like I say. Rather me than her. Landing in that glass would have been gladly accepted by her. She would have done anything to let me let her. But I'm glad she didn't' Richard acknowledged.

'Yeah. Well. I think it was stupid of you but -- I don't know - I guess I spend a whole lot of time thinking that you don't care. That you didn't care. And then John said that you hadn't been with anyone else, then you sacrifice yourself for Clara- I just guess I was wrong' she said sadly. 'I guess people can change' she admitted.

'Lil I always care. I'm sorry if I'm not your slave, but I always care' Richard said as Lilly cut him off.

'Stop rambling you idiot. I'm trying to say I'm sorry' she snapped but not rudely.

'Your not doing a very good job of it' Richard said with a raised eyebrow, but in a jokey way. In his mind she was already forgiven.

But she leant forwards and kissed him, surprising him very much. It took 3 seconds for him to register and kiss back completely before pulling away. 'What was that for?'

'I told you. I'm apologising' she said going in to kiss him again but he pressed a finger to her lips. 'What?' She asked through a muffled tone.

'I can't do this lil. What about Ollie anyway?'

'We broke up a week ago, not that there was much to break up. It was mostly just sex anyway. Most of the time it was just to annoy Clara... If I had known what had happened I never would have done that in the last few weeks'

Richard clenched his fists, knowing there was things about Ollie that Lilly didn't know.

'Yeah well you haven't exactly been around much lately. She needed her friend but she wasn't there' Richard scolded but didn't blame Lilly. None of this was her fault either.

'To be honest - the whole situation has put me off from going out for a while' she said twiddling her thumbs.

'Me too' he sighed as he sat forward crossing his legs and stopping her from fiddling with her hands. 'I love you lil. Always have and always will - but I don't want to get back together with you right now' he said making Lilly want to fall apart.

'But--'

'Let me explain' he begged as she fell silent. 'It's not that I don't love you but after that argument I felt flat. I've picked myself up and found ways of getting over it. I can't get back into it yet lil. Not this soon. I need to be single for a bit. And so do you. Like you said your best friend needs you and she is at tipping point' Richard pointed out.

'But--'

'I'm not saying there's no future for us... Because there might be. But for now I just like being single. No strings you know. Have fun. Meet new people. When the times right - maybe we can get back together' he said placing a small kiss on her forehead and wiping the tears from her cheek.