Chapter 296 - "Constellation of Stars..."

Clara's PoV

'Hello John. Been a while since I've seen you around here. I miss you buying me out of science books' Justin chuckled as I peeped my head round the door of the back office.

It was my lunch hour anyway, but me and Ashildr had spent literally the entire morning trying to decide on the next lot of books to be delivered.

I enjoy working at the bookshop a lot, but the fact that it's July and really hot now isn't fairing well for me at all.

The heat makes things so much more uncomfortable and seeing as I like to wear baggy jogging bottoms at the moment doesn't help.

'I'm actually not hear for Clara. I wanted to speak to Ashildr' John said making my eyebrows raise.

'Huh?' I responded slightly offended.

'Is she back there Clara?'

'Yeah' I nodded.

'Hey dude. Fancy seeing you here' Richard said jumping down the stairs in the back office and plopped his feet up on the desk.

'Are you everywhere she goes?' John scoffed.

'Just because I see my girlfriend. Do you even know where yours is?'

'Outside the shop actually. We're going to the cinema - not that I have to give you information on my dating life' he growled, then turned to look away from him.

'I have to give you details about mine' he scoffed back.

'Please stop arguing' I said. The stress of all of them are killing me.

'You must be Ashildr?' John said extending a hand.

'Umm. Yeah. And your the baby Daddy?' She joked.

That would have been funny if it wasn't for the fact that things weren't so tense regarding the baby and the Father.

'Yeah. Guess I technically am' he said nervously and then turned to look at her properly. 'Clara's told me a lot about you. I've also looked into you at the university of nerd and science. 12 A*'s at GCSE. Pretty impressive I have to say'

'What can I say? I've got no life' She shrugged.

'Clara said you needed some experience. So if your up for it... You can do two days a week at Unit. You probably won't be with me because I don't spend a whole lot of time there, but I'll assign you to someone who's good' he promised.

'Oh. Really? I really need the experience but how did you manage that? Places like that are so hard to get a job in' she grumbled.

'I own the place. Don't worry. You know where we live? Meet us there at 8am tomorrow. I'll take you in myself' John agreed, as he sat down and put his feet up in the back office. 'Now Clara. Get me some tea' he smirked.

'Excuse me. I'm the pregnant one yet you two are chilling there getting me to wait on you? How is that right'

- - -

'I've never been to Unit before' I said. 'This is new territory for me' I said again quite excited skipping behind John and Ashildr with Richard.

I made Richard come along to keep me company for a while and neither of them want me to be traveling alone anyway so when I suggested it he agreed.

John and Ashildr were getting on quite well really. Mainly because they were talking about science and nerd stuff and John was explaining everything that was going to happen in the first year.

I spent most of the afternoon in John's office because he was showing Ashildr around all the equipment and showing her all the people she could work with, and she was so excited about it all.

'So your having the party in your back garden? Who's going to do the Barbecue?' Richard asked.

'Well George said he would do it... But John said he'll help out if he's needed' I shrugged. 'You know you could come. My Gran quite likes you'

'No. I don't think it's the kind of party for me. It's your Dads birthday after all. I'll just come and see you after' he smirked.

'Well my its a surprise party which is why it's at my Grans. But of course Aunt Linda will be there... Actually all my relatives will be there and nobody really knows about the pregnancy so I'm pretty prepared for the stares' I muttered, organising how and when the house was going to get organised. 'I would quite like you to be there?' I begged moving onto the sofa in John's office with him.

I grabbed his right hand entwining our hands. 'I just don't know if I'll be welcome'

'Of course you will. Your my boyfriend. Of course your welcome. Anyway, you'll give Aunt Linda something to scoff about' I smirked, kissing him.

'Hey what are you two up to? Wanna come to the canteen with us?' John asked with a raised eyebrow, as I let go of Richards mouth.

'Yeah. I'm starving actually' I nodded noting how between the pair of them they were still talking about something sciencey and how John would be happy to give her a job once she's qualified.

'Really?' Ashildr said with a smirk.

'Oh yeah. You'll only be a year behind me so why not?' He shrugged.

- - -

'Can I have my tour of unit now?' I questioned as we got to the end of the afternoon.

'Sure, come on then' John smirked leaving Richard in John's office talking to people.

'This is a hallway. And that's the bathrooms that to tend to use'

I rolled my eyes. 'Not the boring places you visit on a daily basis. I know what you look like when you go do a wee. I want to see all the fun places' I begged.

'Yeah but all the stairs?'

'I'll be fine. It's only a few floors. I'm not going to fall' I muttered. 'And I highly doubt she's going to pop out in 20 minutes'

He gave me a disapproving look but we took the stairs anyway, and actually it was nice to have the exercise but I was more than received when we got to the physics floor (3rd floor) that I could sit and look out.

It wasn't really dark because it was the summer so it wasn't really a prime time to be in this bit, but I enjoyed looking at all the telescopes and he explained what all the machinery was for.

'So what does this do? I asked as I sat in front of one of the silver telescopes. The feel of the metal on my hands was really cool, but I jumped up when he pushed the window open and touched my hands.

He placed them on the eye of the telescope and had me turn it until I was happy.

'Press the button and it takes a picture. I'll let you keep it if you like'

'Oo. Free piccy? I'm in' I smirked.

'Actually you can name your own clump of stars. If you choose a pattern that you want to make with the Stars, eventually those stars will match up and you'll be able to see it in the sky'

'How is that even possible?'

'Well I have a Clara constellation of stars. I'll be able to see it the 21st of December 2034. Maybe I'll remember and maybe I won't... But it will be cool anyway'

'So if I wanted a set of stars... That look like this?' I said motioning the drawing to him. 'When will I see it?'

He took the paper and sat at the computer, tapping away doing his science thing then turned around with a printed copy and date. '19th July 2047' he smiled.

I took the piece of paper and considered putting it in a frame later.