Chapter 226 - "Best Man..."

Clara's PoV

'Morning' John smiled, when he came back in the room.

He had left at about 7 o clock this morning to go and help Daniel with last minute setting up.

John's the best man but I'm not really part of the wedding at all. I'm just here as John's date. So when he came back I was fully dressed and ready to go - with the exception of my make up to finish.

'You smell good. New perfume?'

'Not really' I mumbled, and then adjusted his bow tie on his neck accordingly. 'Here. It needs to be straight' I chuckled.

'Thanks for that' he grinned, and grabbed my waist, leaning down to press his lips go mine.

I miss the contact between us. The affectionate kisses. The way he would run his mouth gently down my neck and leave love bites in several noticeable places.

The way his hands would roam my body and soothe any tension within. But ever since the rape - I can't come to accept the touch. Even a kiss makes me squirm.

He knows that. Which is why he avoids it - but we can't avoid it forever. A relationship just will not work if we can't talk... And I just can't talk.

'How's Daniel? I bet he's nervous' I laughed, pulling away and wiping the lipgloss of mine away from the corner of his lip.

'Nervous wreck. Oh I forgot to ask. Melissa's having a really hard time getting Lexi settled. Your sitting in the front row with me anyway, so when she comes down the isle... Can she sit with you? Your about the only other person in the church she'll really know' John asked walking past and adjusting the flower in his suit.

'Me? Why me?' I asked nervously.

'Because there's only small family - and she doesn't ever see them. Believe it or not she knows you more than she knows her own grandmother'

'Right'

'So are you okay to watch her?'

'Huh? Oh yeah of course' I said realising in the moment how hormonal that was making me feel. I guess I didn't realise why but Lexis only a year and a half old so that was probably why.

- - -

'Ready John?' Daniel asked as they stood at the front of the alter.

'Yeah. And I just wanted to say thanks for you being here. And for convincing Jane to come. I really don't know how you managed it. But thanks'

'She was never not going to come man. Not really' John chuckled, straightening his fathers tie and gushed proudly.

'I know I've been a shit father and made mistakes - but I hope you can forgive me eventually?' Daniel asked.

John turned to him and chuckled. 'Believe me - I've completely forgiven you' he said waving at Clara as Clara smirked and waved back.

'She's something special that Clara. Don't screw it up. I'm marrying my high school sweetheart why can't you?' Daniel laughed.