Chapter 268 - "Your Fault..."

Clara's PoV

'Come on. This way' Billy said leading us towards where John was pointing. Nobody wanted John to come back out injured but he was kind of the only person who really knew where Richard was.

'John what the hell happened?' Lilly demanded as I continued walking forwards a little.

'John where's Richard?' I asked suddenly very shaky and very panicky.

'Billy you have to help him. Please someone has to get away from here and call an ambulance' John begged.

'Where. Is. He?' I snapped loosing my patience. 

'He's down that ditch. It's no more than 40 or 50ft. But we fell, and he couldn't climb up. He's hit his head and lost a lot of blood. God he lost so much blood. And he's stomach is all bruised and getting worse. You have to help him. He's on his own and can barely keep his eyes open' John whispered suddenly letting it all get to him.

'Right. Lilly. You go back to base and call an ambulance, one of my men will go with you. Make sure you tell them exactly where we are. These guys will lower me in and I'll do what I can for him in an emergency. John, you stay sat' he said as ropes and torches were attached.

'Richard. I'm here. God please tell me your okay'

'Doing just -- fine Oswald' he panted as I looked down and saw him.

'Shit there's a lot of blood' I gagged, hurtling towards the tree. 'Please just get him out of there'

'I can't get him out. But the ambulance is on its way and I'll help all I can down there. You stay here with John. It's all going to be okay' billy said but we were not out of the woods yet - quite literally.

- - -

It wasn't long before Billy was lowered down and in the ditch with Richard.

'Right mate. What have we got here?' Billy mumbled, looking around and feeling glad at what John had done. 'Clara' Billy yelled up.

'Yeah?'

'Can you get the bag passed down. I need all three rucksacks, and let me know when the paramedics get here, and let them know we're going to need the air ambulance otherwise this is not going to happen'

'Is John okay?' Richard breathed.

'He's fine. Looks like a cut and a broken foot. You on the other hand will need to go straight to theatre. And will need a blood transfusion or two' he said handing Richard a mask. 'It will help to take the pain away. I promise'

'No offence... I've been -- down here what feels -- like days. I'm a bit passed the pain' Richard scoffed.

'Always the joker' Billy said shaking his head. 'Right, let's have a look at that head. I need you too sit up'

'I-- I can't. My-- it hurts' he winced.

'I know. Okay, I'll role you onto your side then? It's the best option' Billy said as he did just that and pulled the shirt away from the back of his head. 'Well this is going to need some stitches. Good job he did that though. Otherwise you could be dead from infection' Billy said complementing John a little.