Chapter 233 - "Research and Scholarships..."

Clara's PoV

Returning to university wasn't so bad.

In fact it was nice, because it gave me something else to think about and it meant that there was a whole less chance of me bumping into my idiot ex boyfriend on the street.

I hadn't talked too him and won't talk too him.

Coming back was even better when I spoke to Lilly and explained all the shit with John and why I just didn't want to talk.

And it was the best when Richard came back with me, thus how we got onto talking about his project.

'The Golden Gate Bridge is like 2.7km' I pointed out.

'Well someone's done their research' Richard chuckled.

'Well if your going to do this - you actually have to do research surely? You can't just not?'

'Oh I know. I have a whole 20 page project due in on it before Easter because after Easter is when we finally get to start building our models'

I jumped up off my bed and zipped up my boots.

'Where you going?'

'I have a couple of meetings. One with the head of education funnily enough and then one at Coal Hill where I'm doing my experience. Apparently Alfie is going to this meeting with the Head of English though so I'm going down with him' I said.

'Good. It's nice you have other people to talk to. Even if he is the twin of an idiot'

'Richard. Alfie is really nice. He's a great person '

'Well at least he isn't a dick'

'Anyone would think your protective over me' I smirked making a joke but as I said it his face dropped and it was no longer a joke.

I decided to get out before any awkward situation arises.

He was staying in my room for the day doing his research because I had better internet and I have some pictures and things he wanted to look at.

- - -

'I got the scholarship?'

'Honestly Miss Oswald... Your High school clearly thought very highly of you. They gave you an excellent reference - in fact I couldn't fault it even a little. And you did get more than exceptional grades on your A levels'

'But I failed one of the topics last semester' I pointed out.

'And I don't think it's going to make any difference. Your still in the running to get a second if not a low first. And to be honest - I would be happy to let you resist knowing you'd probably excel more than previous. Coal hill have given amazing references as well so the 20 grand Scholarship is yours if you still want it'

'Wow' was all I could choke out.

'You don't seem that excited? When I told Mr Hickomborough 10 minutes ago he was bouncing in his seat'

'It's not that. I'm really excited and shocked at the same time - but the course starts in September right?' I asked.

'Your flight to Chicago would be September 30th and you'd start almost immediately in your first school on October 1st. You would spend the entire semester there and fly home on December 20th. But if the schools approve of your efforts and the university really likes you - they may offer you the entire year'

'Oh my god' I whispered.

'Well? Do you accept'

'I -- I don't know. I -- I need to think about it' I whispered.

'Think about it? How long will you need because if you don't want it then we have to give it to someone else'

'It's not that I don't - it's just I'm in a bit of a predicament. I'm kind of pregnant and it's due around mid October time. So if I haven't given birth I won't be able to fly' I pouted.

'Right. I mean we can put it on hold. If you can go by then, then we can re offer it to you... If not well offer it to someone else' he suggested.

I nodded on that agreement by the chances of actually getting to go were pretty slim.

'Maybe you could go for second semester. Perhaps it will be possible and more reasonable for you to go in January?' He asked

I know I plan to give the kid up - but this isn't an opportunity I want to miss. Or loose out on, so I nodded, on the agreement that I give first semester up, and maybe take the opportunity for second semester?

- - -

After the meeting with the head of Education at the uni - I was stuck in a meeting at coal hill and they suddenly offered me something I wasn't expecting.

'They want you to actually teach? Is that even legal?' Richard asked.

'No idea. But I guess. And the teacher would still help me - they just want me to take a year 7 class once a week'

'That's amazing - and a great opportunity for you. You can't decline that' Richard said.

'I know. I know. But I really want that scholarship. I really want to go to Chicago' I whined.

'Your not actually thinking of aborting a baby because you want to go to America are you?' Richard snapped shocked and stood up suddenly. 'They said you can go in January instead. That would have given you time to get over everything and got over all the post birth crap?'

'No. No' I mumbled. 'I mean I thought about the fact that if I didn't have the kid then I would be able to - but I would never do that no. I'm stuck with the poor baby for 9 months and there's nothing I can do. If I by some miracle or not miracle go into labour in September I might be able to go. Or ask for a late start? But I can't wish ill health on the poor baby. It's not the baby's fault I'm knocked up'