Chapter 298 - "Summer Barbecue..."

Clara's PoV

'Clara. Could you make drinks for people please? You and that other boyfriend of yours' Gran said, as the party started and I was talking to my Dad.

'Mum, you know it's not a good idea' Dad said and Gran scolded him.

'Don't be ridiculous. The movement is good for her and the baby' she scoffed as I headed for the kitchen, with Richard hot on my tail.

The only reason my Dad didn't want me serving drinks wasn't for my health, it was more to stop the gossip.

My Dad hates gossip. He can't stand it when people have secrets and gossip is shared.

He's not exactly a gushing Grandfather at the moment. And I'm not exactly a gushing with pride as a Mother.

I'm not going to any classes. I don't even have the want to pick out any baby clothes. I couldn't be any less interested in the baby at the moment to be honest. Except for the fact that John has chosen things out and I haven't.

I wasn't sure how I felt about that.

I've been waiting for the moment to hit when I would want to be baby shopping. And that moment would hit where maybe giving her up would be a terrible idea - it has - but at the same time it hasn't. There's still some time I guess.

'Clara. Your not dead? It's been ages since I've seen you?' A voice smirked from behind me and I whipped round to see Lyndon standing there.

'Oh my god Lyndon' I squeaked.

'Dear god you've swallowed a planet?' He said with wide eyes.

'Yeah. I'm pregnant' I said awkwardly as Aunt bloody Linda stormed into the kitchen looking for plates.

'Yeah. She's 19 and pregnant. Fucked her life up real good' she muttered.

'Thanks for that' I grumbled, already feeling pretty shit about myself but to have her admit it doesn't make me feel any better.

'Who's this? Another one of the guys your choosing to shag?'

'Don't be rude Linda. Clara's doing just fine' Lyndon backed me up.

'This is Richard. And as it goes he is my boyfriend, and if you really want something to chew on... He's not the Dad either' I snapped, turning around to continue what I was doing.

Richards mouth was a gape too but as long as it was affecting Aunt Linda... Then I really couldn't care less.

I handed around the drinks that I had made with Angie, and had Aunt Linda's prying eyes on me the entire time.

'Do not ruin this' Dave scolded.

'How can you possibly condone it? She's 19 years old. And invade you haven't noticed she's carrying a baby' Linda scoffed.

'This is Dave's Day. On your 50th you can say what you like' Theta scolded at the pair of them like they were children once again.

They both bowed their heads as Clara wandered over.

'I hear your the one to organise the party?' He smiled.

It's not like we're close. But I would happily plan a party for my Dad... Plus it is his 50th so why not? It's a big day.

'Yes I am' I grinned happily, and went to go and find Richard who was over at the barbecue.

- - -

'I am proud of you Clara. I don't say it very often but I am. No matter what choices you make' he stuttered trying to say the words and find the right ones.

My lips curled into a smile as I ate the cake John had delivered no more than an hour ago.

'Dad whatever your about to say... I already know' I chuckled kissing his cheek.

'I just don't want you to think--' he cut himself off and mumbled but I knew what he meant.

'Thanks Dad. Oh and Happy Birthday' I smiled as he wandered back into the garden.

'You not coming back out?' Richard asked.

'Nah, I'm too tired to be bothered' I whined like a little kid.

'Did you want any more food? There's loads going' he asked, falling into the sofa next to me.

'Not really. I might have some more cake in a minute, but if I'm honest I think I'd much rather go to bed' I yawned as I settled into Richards chest and closed my eyes, as John threw his head around the corner of the lounge.

'What's up dude?'

'Is it okay if Lola comes in? I promised your Dad id help clean up the barbecue and Lola is here already? Just for half an hour?' He asked nervously.

'Yeah. I guess' I shrugged, not really wanting to sit in the room with my ex boyfriends girlfriend but it looks like I don't have too much choice and don't want to make and argument.

Plus the fact I can't really say anything. He asked us not to swan out relationship in his face yet we've done a pretty good job at swanning it so far.

'Hey Clara. Your Richard right? I haven't really met you properly yet' Lola said extending an arm, and Richard shook her hand politely.

'Yeah. Richard. John's best friend' he confirmed as she sat down.

'I like your house. Looks really family friendly' she smiled, settling into her phone on the other sofa.

Richard and I continued our brief conversation as John came in. 'Ready to go? I hope they've been keeping you good company'

'John. You've got soot from the barbecue all over your cheek' I pointed out.

'Well thanks for that' he mumbled but she kissed him anyway, making me want to gag, and they disappeared out the door without so much of a goodbye.

'Gross' I mumbled.

'I couldn't agree more' Richard said.