Chapter 305 - "The Waiting Game..."

Clara's PoV

From then on in it was just the waiting game. It's the waiting that's the worst part about all of it.

Plans can be made. Plans were made. And those plans had changed.

Jane assured me that John's flight was due to land 9am in London and that David was going straight up at 8 to go and get him.

He wasn't going home which I felt bad about but I knew he would want to come straight here.

Jane however had gone home because she needed to get a few bits that John had organised for the baby.

A few baby grows, toys and hats in case she does make an appearance anytime soon.

Richard was then the only one left at my bedside but even he had fallen asleep in the chair next to the bed, murmuring incoherently in his sleep but it was something to focus on.

Counting the his snores, or the small deep breaths that he would take.

- - -

The waiting is the worst part I have to say.

Just the helpless waiting for something to happen.

Nurses would come in every hour over the early hours of the morning, check my blood pressure, check the heartbeat and feel her movements... Not that there was many.

Overall the night pretty much passed and I had not shifted at all. No more centimetres and no contractions.

And it was boring as hell.

I tried for the life of me to sleep, but every time I managed to close my eyes for a second I would think only of what she would look like and how the next part is the scary part, so snapped my eyes open and focused on something else.

Weather that be Richard or Twitter. I had to keep myself busy.

At about 5am Richard woke up, and sat on the bed with me for a while. He tried words of comfort but I was more distressed about the waiting than the contractions themselves at the moment.

- - -

'Clara you need to sleep' Richard whispered when he woke up again at 8 o clock. I could hear his stomach rumbling from here.

'I can't. I just keep waiting for something to happen but it's just not. It's just so annoying. She's not even kicking that much so I can't even focus on what she's doing to keep myself occupied'

'At least try. Surely it's easier now it's daytime. And the Suns out. Pretty rare for a late August day' he shrugged.

'Huh'

'What?'

'If she's born in the next 16 hours she will be born in August and be the youngest in her school year. If she's born in 16 hours and 1 minute... She will be September 1st and the Oldest in her school year'

'Wow. Is that what you've been thinking about? Who cares as long as she's okay'

'I know that. I guess it's something I was always conscious of as I grew up. In my primary school I was the only person born this side of Christmas. Seems impossible I know. But true. For 6 years I was the oldest in my year'

'Wow. But your November? So nobody was born between September and December?'

'Only one other person and they were New Year's Eve. Still made me the oldest. But then you go through secondary and you can't do everything because your younger than everyone else you know? I think I'd prefer her to be the oldest' I said finally feeling a little tired.

Actually I realised it was the conversation. Really dull but something I had genuinely thought about. 'Wow that was so ridiculously dull' I confirmed.

'Then you'd better tell her to hold on for 16 more hours and 1 minute' he chuckled as I heard his stomach rumble once again.

'Go eat. You know what they say... An army marches on its stomach, I need you guys in tip top condition to put up with my yelling in a few hours time'

- - -

I woke up at 12pm after having had a little sleep.

I was glad that I had gotten some sleep and so was Alex because she was concerned about my lack of sleep already.

She was even more concerned when she ran another scan leaving me in the lurch and walking out of the room.

'Umm. Can I have both John and Richard in the room? I don't want John to miss it - or Richard - and honestly I don't think I can do it without then both here' I asked.

'I don't see why not. As long as they don't get in my way, then I can't see a problem' she smiled.

I tired not to think anything of it, as Lilly stepped in my room and smiled happily - probably glad that it wasn't her that was about to be plunged into unprecedented pain.

'Hey Clara' she said jumping on the bottom of my bed and threw a pile of magazines at me.

'What are they?'

'Well I thought you've got a lot of time to kill so figured that you might want something to read. I know it's no Jane Austen... But trashy media magazines can be funny when your in pain' she shrugged.

I eyed the front of the magazine and literally couldn't not burst out into laughter.

'Seriously? Trashy magazines? Great idea' I chuckled. 'Is John here yet?' I asked leaning forwards.

'No. He's been held up at the airport. Apparently customs is a nightmare but hasn't come off the phone with Jane since'

'What's the problem?'

'Something to do with his passport. Don't overthink it. He'll be here soon'

'Don't lie to me Lil. I'll find out eventually' I said sitting more forward. It didn't matter either way, no matter how I was choosing to sit it was uncomfortable as Fuck.

'Okay, he may have been in such a huff and rush when he left the airport in Spain to board the plane that he forgot pick his passport up from the seat' she said and I couldn't believe it.

He's not a stupid person. He's all organised and prepared.

'Are you telling me that he can't get back in the fucking county?' I cried in practically a half whisper.

'Well -- Yes that's about it yeah' she said awkwardly fiddling with her thumbs and if that wasn't enough stress to start contractions then I don't know what was.