Chapter 293 - "Motion..."

Clara's PoV

'Your way overthinking this' I muttered as we sat in the waiting room at the closest maternal ward. 'This is ridiculous... Why are we even here? It's spoiling my weekend' I scoffed.

Lola had gone back to the hotel room - mainly because I think she felt like she didn't really belong here right now which I supposed she didn't, and once me and John started arguing and throwing insults at each other - there was no point her being around.

'Id rather be safe than sorry Clara. Is she still not moving?'

'Yes. She moved 20 minutes ago. Which is why I don't understand why were here' I said stubbornly, arms folded and lip pouted.

'Well Alex was the one that said you go for a scan immediately'

'I can't speak French. How will they even know what I'm saying? How will I know what she's saying?' I muttered.

'Translator' he said as if it was obvious, but thankfully the midwife that we saw as an emergency was English. She was actually from England as well so she knew what was being said.

Getting to the hospital was a bit of a nightmare when John had announced that we needed the maternity ward - but between the pair of us we could just about work out the word please.

That was when a nice man called Matthew walked by and heard us arguing together, and me snapping at John for trying to type the wrong word into translator.

He chuckled hysterically asking us why we were here and then directed us after reception to where we needed to go.

By the time all this had happened and we had gone through all the arguing to get there, she had kicked again and I hadn't even noticed. She must have enjoyed the argument because it's as if she was laughing at us.

Either way, that's what led us to sitting in a French waiting room with many pregnant women around us who were very disapproving seeing as they were all well into their 30's, if not 40's meanwhile we were the youngest people sitting here.

'Wanna play a game?' I whispered.

'No not really. I want to know that she's okay' he said tapping his leg up and down. He was more worried than I was but I suppose seeing as she doesn't actually carry her - he doesn't feel what I feel.

'Okay. Well you pick a couple and then decide what gender the baby is'

'How does that work? You never find out' he muttered, as if it was a stupid idea.

'Not true. Some people make it so obvious. When they flick through magazines and look at pink paint, or blue tops'

'Your such an idiot'

'Me the idiot? It's not my fault you can't use a simple app is it? Your supposed to be loaded... Just buy a new phone. Preferably one that Fucking works'

'Are you insulting my phone?'

'It was one of the very first iPhones. It's like six years old. It can't even run the current translator. Let alone be accurate'

'I don't want a new phone'

'Only because then you'd have to learn how to use it. Id throw the Fucking thing out the window' I hissed, feeling her kick around once again.

I would remember this for next time she halts her movements. Just having an argument with John makes her chuckle obviously so I'd do that.

- - -

'Thank god you speak English' I said in a sigh. 'I don't think translator would ever be an option' I said thinking about having to use the dinosaur phone again.

John hissed in response.

'I don't even know why we're here. Yes she stopped kicking for a while but she's kicking again now' I muttered lifting my top anyway.

'Your midwife contacted and asked to run an emergency scan and send her the results. She said that you've miscarried before now and had cancer'

'Well I have but that's got nothing to do with this pregnancy' I shrugged.

'Maybe not. But always better to be safe than sorry' she said as John clapped his hands and huffed.

'Grow up' I hissed.

'How long was she motionless for?'

'I dunno. About 16-17 hours. She hadn't moved since dinner last night. That was about 5. So yeah something like that' I mumbled.

'She looks pretty strong to me. Heartbeats strong, and she is moving. I wouldn't be too concerned at this point. Your 29 weeks so in your 3rd trimester?'

'Yeah. Only just' I nodded as John turned to watch her moving around on the screen.

'It seems totally normal to me. But first time parents can get a bit jittery about things like this. To be honest she's probably just changing her sleeping pattern. That normally changed towards the end of pregnancy. Comes more attached to your sleeping pattern'

'She already is' I muttered.

'Plus she's still quite small. Measuring out a little smaller than she should be but your notes say that's okay. She's still got a little extra room to move about still. By the time you get to 32 weeks you'll be feeling her breathe. She'll be a little more cramped then' she smiled.

'See. You panicked for nothing and wasted an afternoon I could have been shopping'

'There's no more shops in the town. You covered them all' he snapped holding up the 9 bags of clothes and shoes I had bought getting pretty carried away.

I poked my tongue out and she handed me a picture. 'Might as well keep it. Something to keep from your travels' she smiled. 'I am a little concerned about how she's positioned' she said suddenly as I jumped down.

'Huh. See. Told you' John said, stepping forward.

'That's not something you want go brag about' I snapped back.

'Nothing too concerning just the fact that she seems to be facing down a little sooner than you would expect'

'Meaning?'

'She's moved now but baby's tend to start to face down more when they are preparing to be born. Mothers usually notice it around 34-35 weeks. I would just keep an eye on that. Go for a scan with your midwife when you get home. You say you leave in two days? I don't see any harm in staying until then. Just be little more aware of her movements'

'See. I knew this was a good idea' he said as we fought with his Fucking dinosaur phone once again, on the way back to the apartment.