Chapter 315 - "Police and a Baby..."

Clara's PoV

'Come on dude. Come back to the hospital. Come back inside. Just come back and talk to Clara. Her and the police are talking about it now'

'There's nothing that can be done Richard. She's ill and he needs Clara, she doesn't need me' John pouted.

'John. Please. Think about it... She was going to let her come and live with you. She certainly needs you not anyone else. She wants you too look after her baby'

- - -

'Please. I'm willing to sign anything. Please just let him be the Dad' I begged.

At least if I had something signed, then it would be so much better. At least then I could say she's his Daughter - even if she isn't.

'Were no closer to sorting this - but for yours and the babies protection. She can legally take Smith - as long as Smith is what you want... So social services can name John the legal Father'

'Really? You can do that? How long will it take?' I asked as Alex piped up.

'We haven't got long. Time isn't really with us. If she picks up and infection, or an illness - then we're going to need parents that are willing and able to make a decision' Alex said.

'I understand that - but even with police authority we can't run it through that fast. But with social services you can get something temporarily' the inspector said.

'When are social services due in?' I asked turning to Alex.

'Tomorrow morning now. She's okay and fine for now - well keep her monitored and hopefully nothing will happen in the next 24 hours. If it does we will sort it' Alex said.

'She's having my last name' I suddenly mumbled.

'Clara for protection of the child she really shouldn't--'

'She's having my name' I cut him off. 'Her name is Autumn Oswald and that's that. Even if she doesn't live with me - her name is Oswald' I said stubbornly. There was no way I was changing my mind on that.

'Listen Clara. Felix is requesting to see the child'

'No. No way. I don't care what happens. He is not seeing her' I snapped.

'It's completely up to you. But he won't be able to do anything. As long as all goes well in court he should go to jail for up to 20 years. He's done a lot of stuff' she said between us.

'Oh god. No. No way. He is to have no rights over her, I don't want him coming near her until she wants to find him. Is there not anything I can set up for her to not be able to see him until she's 18 or something?' I asked. No I begged.

'Were working on it. The courts and social services are doing everything in their best interest to do what they can for you' the inspector smiled. 'We'll pop back in, in a couple of days when social services are here'

I watched as she exited the room. And I realised that my life has literally gone from crap to shit in under a few minutes and I was all alone.

- - -

'Clara. Can I come in?' Someone asked. I didn't recognise the voice immediately because it was so scratchy and sounded like whoever it was had been crying for hours, until I saw Johns face in the crack of the door.

'On my god' I whispered and nodded sitting up to look at him.

'Im sorry about walking out. I just needed some time to think' he said awkwardly.

'It's okay I get it. She's not your Daughter so you want to leave. That's fine. If I could just have the clothes you've bought and let me pay you back once nice found a job' I asked.

He stepped closer to the bed and sat down. It was the first time I saw his face when he looked at me and his hands that were bandaged up. 'What the hell have you done?' I asked lifting his hands and running my hands slowly across his knuckles, eyeing up Richard in the doorway, he smiled stepping away for a moment giving us some space to talk over this.

Even with the bandages over his hands, he winced in pain.

'I didn't take the news very well. At least you haven't been out punching walls' he said lightly.

'Well you shouldn't have been' I scoffed not wanting to get in an argument with him. I need him more than I care to admit.

'I saw that the police were in earlier?'

'Yeah'

'Why?'

'Because your name can't go on the birth certificate. But there is things I can do. I can make it so he can't see her until she's 18 and that he can't have any rights over her'

'And that leaves me where? Because if you don't want me anymore that's fine' he grumbled sadly.

'John I need you, I can't do this, I can't look after a baby. I thought you would be the one to want to leave me' I whispered.

'Your joking? I love you and her more than I love anything else in this world. I want you too come and live with me still. I want us to have all those plans' he begged.

'Then let's' I shrugged.

'It's not the same though is it? I let myself live in 8 months of denial. I knew as soon as you told me the due date that there was no way in hell that she was mine. But I ignored it'

'John social services can give you a grant. It's only temporary but as long as you sign gives you rights straight away. You can be her Dad. After a few months when the paper work goes through she'll be yours then too. And no one else's. You can still be her Dad. I want you to be' I cried. 'You should have been'

'And I want to be. But only you if you want us to be. We can still be a family and we can still make this work. I promise Clara'

'I want us to make it work. I swear I do' I said as he stood up and wiped his eyes. 'Where are you going?'

'Richard wants to see you... And I need to go and see Lola' he said suddenly making me realise that she was here. I had no idea. And how would us living together work if he has a girlfriend?

It probably wouldn't.

I've got to face the facts that she's going to have to come and live with me.