For A Rose He Carries On

Ruby: "(y/n)!!!" She shouted as me and my team quickly turned around to see her team running up behind us.
(Y/n): "Yes Ruby?" I asked puzzled as ti why she was acting this way.
Ruby: "Y-Your not gonna be gone for long are you?"
(Y/n): "Uh... Can't say taking down an entire army with just your team is a cake walk." I said as she looked sad. I glanced at everyone as they stared at us. Between both teams it was abundantly  clear that Ruby was madly in love with me and went to great lengths to prove it. But in truthfulness I didn't feel the same.
Ruby: "Am... Am I just a nuisance to you?" She asked as I felt the sadness in her voice. i laid my gear down and pulled her into a tight embrace.
(Y/n): "You never were and never will be a nuisance to me Ruby." I said as I felt her hugging me tightly as I felt my shirt getting damp. I smiled softly stroking her hair as they let us be. I went to break away but she grabbed my hand holding onto it tightly.
Ruby: "Y-Your gonna come back right?" She said as I saw the tears glistening in her eyes. I felt my heart beat faster seeing this as I held her hand with both of mine.
(Y/n): "Ruby. I promise I am going to come bak to you even if it takes me to the end of time I will come back." I said as she smiled with tears streaming down her face. "Don't cry rose. I won't be gone long. Hell you probably will be surprised when I come back saying you left?" I said as she smiled softly giggling now as I held her close again. We lingered on our goodbyes but eventually had to let go as I met up with my team in the bullhead. I looked at my team as they chuckled.

(Y/n): "What???"
Jake: "You love Ruby now don't ya after that sentimental and heartfelt goodbye."
Joe: "Yeah it's so obvious it hurts."
(Y/n): "Hey fuck you all. I'm not sure if it's love or a sense to protect alright? If it was love do you think I would of told her we were going to face a fucking army with no chances of coming back?"
Fransico: "You didn't say that last part."
(Y/n): "I didn't?... Shit..." I groaned out as they all laughed. "Well she's gonna be really upset if we don't come back..." I said as Jake put his arm around me.
Jake: "Then we should probably make it back huh?" He said with his usual optimistic cheer as I sighed nodding. But what they said did have me thinking. For as long as I have known her I can't once recall a time when I felt something akin to love for her. I liked her as a friend but her feelings for me are something foreign. Maybe... maybe I do love Ruby like she loves me.

3 weeks later

I ducked behind cover as bullets sprayed over our heads and I looked at the others. I myself was in pretty good condition even though I have been spearheading every single charge. But the others are getting weary and losing morale. Each one saying how they are gonna miss their girlfriends and family. This made me freeze as my mind wandered from the battlefield to my own family. Mom... Dad... my little siblings... Then Ruby popped into my mind as I felt tears streaming down my face. I wiped them and looked at my hand seeing the clear liquid as I realized it. I just started chuckling before full on laughing. I wiped my eyes before turning my rifle back into melee form a golden handled ebony greatsword Darkmore as the others stared at me.

Joe: "Have you fucking lost it?!?"
(Y/n): "No no no... Not at all in fact I have found it..." I said in a cryptic manner as they sighed before laughing as well.
Jake: "We are gonna fucking die out here and our leader has an epiphany of sorts."
(Y/n): "No... not that just a realization. Jake has Yang, Joe has Coco, Fransico has Blake."
Fransico: "And you? Family?" He asked as I shook my head peeking over the cover before ducking down as a rocket flew over us.
(Y/n): "Me? I have a rose." I said as with a confident smile as they nodded.
Them: "Orders?"
(Y/n): "Survive, fight, thrive, victory. While i distract them I want you all to head to the lz."
Joe: "You can't be fucking serious?!?!? They are gonna interrogate you till death or sooner."
(Y/n): "I wont break. You know this now on my go fucking go."
Joe: "No man we stand together. We have since childhood just like you and Ruby. If you stand we do so as well."
Jake: "Damn straight we can't let you have all the glory now can we?"
Fransico: "That's right man. If you stand we stand, you run we run. We will follow you captain from here to the pits of tartarus or to the high clouds in the sky, hell even the birthing place of grimm. We will follow our captain anywhere." They each said as I smiled wiping a single tear from my eye.
(Y/n): "Geez why did I get stuck with such an unruly team disobeying their orders.... But alright if you dumb bastards are gonna be as stubborn as usual I have no choice. Going in with plan 8 got it?" I asked as they nodded getting into position as I held up three fingers. Slowly I counted down until I held up my fist as we bursted over the cover.