Chapter 157: Better Late Than Never

Tilting my head in confusion, I looked at Blackbeard like he was an idiot, as I had just said I wished to do as I please, yet here he was, asking if I wanted to work under him, and honestly, it slightly peeved me. I'd rather die than ever be required to follow someone's orders; having experienced the freedom of not being forced to conform to society's standards was so refreshing, and it wasn't something I'd ever give up, not in this life or in the next one.

"Hehe, I think that's enough cherry pie for you, Blackbeard." Said Diddy with a slight chuckle, and without any sudden warning, he twisted his body, powerfully kicking Blackbeard's side, crashing him through the wall of the bar.

Leaping off the stool, I took off the fur cloak and tossed it to Trenza in the distance as I didn't really want it to get damaged and waited for Blackbeard to emerge from the pile of rubble, which didn't take too long. Once he appeared, he was sporting an ugly expression, which was befitting of his ugly face as he slowly approached me while my instincts began to send me warning signals, causing me to grin uncontrollably.

"I'll give you one more chance, Mink; join my crew; from that kick alone, I can tell you've got the strength to back it up. I could use someone strong like you on my crew." Remarked Blackbeard solemnly as he stood before Diddy, towering over him while glaring at him, though all he got was a burst of chaotic laughter.

"Hahaha, no! I'll never join your crew or anyone else's; besides, I'm already the Captain of my own crew. Speaking of my own crew, Trenza, I'd recommend you return to the ship; I can already tell Blackbeard is a true pirate." Stated Diddy with laughter as he crouched down to all fours before glancing back at Trenza, who rapidly nodded without any hesitation before exiting the bar while wearing the fur cloak.

"B-Be careful, Captain!" Yelled Trenza as she and nearly everyone else in the bar ran away, leaving only Blackbeard, Diddy, and the bartender.

Watching Trenza leave, I was about to look back at Blackbeard, but I wasn't given a chance as I was forced to swiftly evade a kick from him; sidestepping the attack, I spun on my hands and kicked Blackbeard in the gut, though now that he had his footing, I only managed to push him back a few meters. However, that was more than enough for me to get onto my feet and lunge toward him while timing my punch with the rhythm of my heartbeat, increasing my power, and even though he blocked it, he was once again flung into the distance, only this time, he crashed through the building and into the street.

Dashing out of the building, I leaped into the air and clutched my hands together before bringing them overhead, only to slam them down atop Blackbeard, who was still in the process of getting up from the previous attack, causing him to crash into the ground while the surrounding Earth cracked from the might of my blow.

'Eh, were my instincts wrong? Have I mistaken his strength? Why is he hardly fighting back?' Mused Diddy with a frown as he leaped off Blackbeard and stood in the distance, giving him a chance to regain his bearings.

From what's displayed so far, he hasn't proved to be very strong; he's definitely strong since, in my last attack, I used roughly all of my strength, yet he was still relatively fine; he was only bleeding a little.

"Tch, c'mon, Blackbeard, either display your true strength now, or I'll kill you for wasting my time and getting my hopes up." Remarks Diddy with a frown as he folded his arms and stood at a distance while watching Blackbeard stand up.

"Zehahaha; you pack quite a punch for someone in Paradise; with strength like that, you'd be able to sail New World with relative ease; you'd probably even make a name for yourself. Though, too bad you insist on fighting; I'll have to kill you now." Remarked Blackbeard with a laugh as he wiped the blood leaking from his mouth while eying Diddy, his hand tanking on abysmal darkness.