Chapter 103: Abandoned Village

"Eh, what do you mean by that Captain? We've only been on this island for a few minutes, and we haven't walked far, not to mention we've been walking in a straight line." Asked Trenza in confusion as she glanced at Diddy before looking back, though the thick vegetation concealed the coast.

"Heh, if you can't even sense it, that alone is enough reason why you shouldn't attempt to return to the ship; you'll get lost and probably end up dead somewhere." Said Diddy with a grin while scanning his surroundings as he continued walking forward, his words starling Trenza, who decided to stay closer to him.

"Um, Father, do you mind elaborating what Captains means by that?" Asked Scar with a raised eyebrow while looking around, though just like Trenza, he too was confused, and Grand was no exception.

"From the instance we stepped onto this island, there has been an invisible energy that's been hampering and disrupting our senses; Freyja, Captain, and I have been able to resist it, but that doesn't seem to be the case for you three. Which means you'll trip on that root right there." Replied Sebas with a slight frown as he looked up at the night sky before pointing towards a thick tree root exposed from the ground.

"Huh? What roo-" Said Sebas as he looked down, only for him to trip through before he face-palmed into the ground; he managed to catch himself.

"I suggest you follow in our footsteps lest you trip again since, unlike you, we can ward off this weird energy." Said Freyja lightly as she glanced at Sebas and Grand, who both nodded before closely following behind her, mimicking her every step.

I couldn't tell whether the island itself was producing this weird energy that was attempting to disrupt our senses or if it was something or someone else's doing; the thought that it might be a possible devil fruit user crossed my mind, but I don't have enough evidence to draw a reasonable theory. So, with that in mind, we continued walking through the forest while I was in the lead, moving trees, bushes, and other forest life out of our way; this continued for some time, which was a little tedious, but It was still fun in my opinion as it reminded me of horror games.

'Hehe, c'mon, pop out; I'm ready for you!' Thought Diddy with a smirk as his beastly eyes scanned his surroundings, his ears twitching at every sound and his nose sniffing and analyzing every new scent.

Unfortunately, for a solid forty minutes, nothing happened, but I did start to notice that the plant life was becoming more sparse; we even began to see seemingly trunks of previously chopped-down trees.

"Looks like we're heading in the right direction." Muttered Sebas as he once again spread his psionic energy, searching for any active minds, though just like before, he came up empty-handed, causing him to frown.

"Or at least a direction; it feels like this island has been abandoned by all wildlife." Commented Freyja blandly as she folded her arms and walked beside Sebas while glancing at him.

"Hehe, speaking of abandoned, Freyja; look what we stumbled across." Said Diddy with a smirk as he turned around while ripping a thick bush from the ground, revealing what seemed to be a village.

"A town? It looks quite old." Remarked Grand with a raised eyebrow as he looked at the small, desolate village.

Approaching the town, village, or whatever this is properly called, we noticed several houses and what looked to be a few gathering spots, possibly bars or something else; however, everything looked not only old but desolate and abandoned.

"It looks more like a village rather than a town, but yeah, it's old, very old at that; the wood on these houses are rotting away." Said Scar as he approached a house and gently pushed open the door, only for it to collapse into several pieces.