Chapter 71: Diddy's Corpse!?

As I walked deeper into the destroyed forest as if an intense and deadly battle had just taken place here, which was probably what happened; in the distance, I suddenly spotted a body lying motionlessly on the ground, causing me to halt as I intently looked at it. Yet even with my eyes that I'm so proud of, I couldn't properly determine who it was, probably because of the smoke and fire that obstructed my view.

'Must've been the person Captain was fighting; maybe he's over there.' Thought Trenza with furrowed brows as she started heading towards the seemingly dead body in the distance.

The walk toward the corpse was rather treacherous; I had to watch my every step to ensure I didn't accidentally step into a crater or trip over a broken tree. However, as I got closer, the body lying on the ground became clearer, and as it did, I could feel my heart rate speed up while my eyes widened.

"C-Captain?" Muttered Trenza in dismay as she looked at the corpse covered in golden brown fur while a red and gold bo-staff was embedded into the ground beside a tree.

Although I've only known Captain for a little over a week, and I won't say I've developed any deep feelings for him, except for maybe annoyance; it's just, after seeing his display of strength, I found it hard to believe anyone could beat him, after all, he carried around a Sea King like it was your everyday trout. Still seeing that familiar golden brown fur and that bo-staff, which unmistakably belonged to Captain, I momentarily forgot about my well-being and ran towards him, tripping and nearly falling many times before I finally arrived near him.

"C-CAPTAIN!?" Exclaimed Trenza in worry as she approached Diddy's seemingly dead body, which was littered with so many wounds and deadly injuries that one wouldn't even think for a second such a being could survive.

Seeing his blood-covered corpse, I didn't know what to do, so I just quickly got on my knees and quickly checked for any signs of life, yet even after putting my hand on his heart and various pulse locations, there was no sign of a heartbeat, which only caused my panic to intensify. I wasn't exactly the best when it came to medical knowledge; Grand knew far more than me, considering he was always getting hurt, though I knew basic first aid and CPR, but the problem with that was I had no tools, I couldn't even perform basic first-aid on Captain.

Putting my hands atop his chest, directly above his heart, I started pumping his heart, or at least I was about to, but the instant I put my hand atop his heart, his chest instantly caved in, causing me to swiftly retract my hands lest I accidentally puncture a heart or lung.

However, it seemed like my attempt at saving his life wasn't a waste, as I spotted his body slightly twitch, causing me to check his heartbeat again, only to widen my eyes for a second time at what I felt.

'H-How is there a heartbeat!?' Asked Trenza to herself, but she didn't bother looking for answers right now as she noticed Diddy's eyes, which were previously rolled into the back of his head, displaying the white of his eyes, were now looking up at the sky.

"C-Captain! A-Are you okay!?" Asked Trenza in concern as she lightly tapped Diddy's cheek, trying to get his attention, which worked as he shifted his blurry vision toward Trenza; though he couldn't make out her appearance, he recognized the voice.

"T-Trenza; fancy seeing you here." Remarked Diddy slowly with a smirk while looking at Trenza, his words slightly calming her down, but not by much.

"We can speak later, Captain; you need first aid ASAP; you were just dead a second ago; who knows if you might keel over dead for good next time." Stated Trenza with a slight smile as she stood up and picked up Diddy, requiring her to tap into strength she'd never used before so that she could put him over her shoulder.