Rules

Out of all the rules of tradition in San Fransokyo, I think the most stupidest one is the 'Matchmaker' rule. When a child turns 13, a matchmaker is appointed to find the right partner for them... Once you have been paired you can't change and before you meet the matchmaker, you need to pass some tests... I'm 14 and still not paired... I like it that way. I failed last year dreadfully, I just couldn't care less about how to open a fan properly.

Unfortunately, me failing meant being dishonoured in my family. I had no choice but to pass this year or be dishonoured and put in the markets for sale as a slave.

Rarely, children were put there but occasionally there would be the exceptions.

I sighed as I sat by the river bank which was through the bushes that were at the park. I picked up a flat smooth rock and threw it across the water, making it skim across the surface.

I picked up a big rock and was about to throw. I swung my arm back and the rock slipped from my grip I gasped in shock as I went to retrieve it, hoping no one got hit.

Sadly, it did hit someone or should I say something. It was a white puffy robot.

"Hi, you seem to have caught my skipping stone." I exclaimed. The robot turned to me and waved.

"Hello, I am Bayamax your personal healthcare companion." He said, handing me the rock. "What are you doing with this rock?" He questioned, turning his head slightly.

I laughed, the natural curiosity of robots always made me smile. It was true you could say that I was more of the robotics nerd than baker, chef, seamstress or any feminine job out there kind of girl, this was of course greatly disapproved in my family.

"I was throwing it across a lake." I responded looking at the robots black hyper spectral lenses.

"I like your lenses." I said.

"Thank you, they help me scan my patients." Baymax informed me. I looked through his tummy.

"Oh! You are made of vinyl! And those actuators are neat! And of course your carbon fibre skeleton, light and compatible with your cuddly design." I said, looking up at Baymax.

"My original creator Tadashi made me." Baymax said.

"Original?" I asked.

"My original body broke so Tadashi's brother, Hiro had to make me a new one... My healthcare chip is still the same." Baymax explained, closing his 'eyes'. "Tadashi is here." He said before opening them again.

It took me a while to register what the robot had said. "I'm sorry for Hiro's and your loss." I said sadly. "Well, I better go... I hope to see you again Baymax." I waved goodbye.

I went home to prepare for my matchmaker ceremony. I wore a red dress and my mum put my hair into a bun.

I signed and walked with her to the near by church where all the girls were waiting to be paired.

"(Y/n) (l/n)." The announcer said. I stood up and quietly went to another room to start my test.

"Poor tea into the cup." "Open this fan" "Put these clothes away" request after request, I completed the task.

"You have passed, just. Wait while we find an ideal partner." The matchmaker said. I sighed in relief as I heard shuffling in the room next to me.

The matchmaker came back with a boy a few months older than me. "You both got the same results last year and this year, no choice but to partner you." They said, leaving us to get to know each other.

"Uh...hey." The boy exclaimed.

"Hi... I'm (y/n)." I said, holding out a hand. The boy took it.

"Nice to meet you... Are you 14 like me?" He asked. I nodded... Wasn't he going to tell me his name?

"Cool.. So what do you like to do (y/n)?"

"Stuff that dishonour my family..." I said sadly.

"Are you serious?! Me to!" He exclaimed. I lifted my head up in shock.

"I love robotics." He explained. My mouth dropped open.

"Me to!" I exclaimed. His brown eyes filled with excitement. He grabbed my hand and dragged me out the back door to a courtyard that was empty except for a red case.

"Ow." He said. The red case opened and out came none other than Baymax!

"Baymax?! Oh my gosh so that means you must be Hiro!" I exclaimed hugging him.

"How do you know Baymax?" Hiro asked confused.

"Hello (y/n)! It's nice to see you again since earlier today." He stated.

"So you're the apparently smart girl he was hanging with?!" Hiro asked shocked. I smiled and nodded.

"Woah..." He breathed. I laughed.