Pomona often felt this sort of motherly instinct over Charlotte though, secretly, Lottie would always come first to her, just like her mother had done all of those years ago.

"And then you know what happened at the end of the lesson? He asked to speak to me! Who does he think he is? He left me and now he wants a chat? Absolutely not he can jog on and find someone else to piss off- sorry." Charlotte sighed, running a hand through her hair stressfully.

"Not to worry. What did you say to him when he asked to talk?"

"I said no and walked out." Charlotte smirked, slightly proud that she had some kind of control over the situation. "Why is he here? Why's he at Hogwarts? Why now...I was happy without him."

"I'm not too sure," Sprout shook her head. "I'm going to be honest with you, dear, Things will not be easy for you this year Lottie, it's going to be hard, especially with both of them here."

"I don't want both of them here. I don't want either of them here! He has no right!" She stood up abruptly. "Nobody understands that I don't want to be near him! Why do I have to go to his lessons? I refuse to go, PomPom, please don't make me go, at least see reason!"

"Charlotte, sit down and breathe," she spoke softly, and Lottie did as she was told, going red in embarrassment from her sudden outburst. "I can not permit you to skip these lessons. As much as I hate this for you, I value your education, and we need to keep your grades up, they're in a good place right now."

"I know." Lottie smiled meekly, "I don't know how much I can take, though. What if I lose my cool and shout at him? Actually, I don't even care, he deserves that."

"I can't argue that one," Pomona winked, and Lottie laughed.

"Thank you," Lottie said softly, "I'm sorry. I'm just stressed."

"I know," the professor sighed.

They sat in silence for a moment, Lottie's head bouncing with questions and fears and worries, Sprout could tell the girl was fragile, and she couldn't bare it.

"Now I'll write you off your classes for today, however I want you back tomorrow, okay?" Sprout said sternly.

"Got it." Charlotte nodded. "I won't miss any classes. Although if I end up not going to DADA..."

"In defence against the dark arts, try your best to focus on your work and not your dad, I know it may be hard but you can always come here if anything does happen." Sprout said softly.

"Thanks Professor!" Charlotte replied cheerfully, jumping out of her seat.

"Not to worry, Charlotte." Sprout replied sadly.

𓅷𓅷𓅷

A few hours later, Charlotte was in the Great Hall, eating her dinner beside Erin and Susan.

"Your dad is an amazing professor!" Hannah Abbott was saying.

This was something Charlotte had been hearing all day and it was making her want to rip her hair out. It was getting extremely annoying.

"Thanks." Lottie replied, glaring at the pasta that was in front of her.

"I mean seriously! He knows how to teach a lesson!" Hannah continued.

"Thanks." Lottie repeated.

"How comes you missed transfigurations?" Susan, who usually sat next to Charlotte in that lesson, asked.

"I was with Sprout," Charlotte replied.

"Oh." Nodded Susan. "We thought you were with your dad, y'know? Father and daughter time, that would be cute!"

"You know I live in an orphanage right?" Lottie snapped, rubbing her forehead.

Susan - and most of the Hufflepuffs that had heard - all gasped.

"Oh my...I'm so sorry Charlie!" Susan replied, looking at Erin for help. "I thought you lived with him... I'm very sorry!"

"Its fine," Charlotte replied, glancing up the Professors table, accidentally locking eyes with James Potter.

The two held eye contact, Charlotte raising an eyebrow at him emotionlessly whilst James smiled at her in pure awe. He was determined to fix things between him and his goddaughter by the end of the year. He was bored of waiting for Remus to fix things, he wanted to do it himself.

James was the first to look away, though it was only really because Professor Flitwick had started talking to him. He hardly listened to what the little teacher was saying, instead he was planning out the best way to come onto good terms with Charlotte without rushing or scaring her.

Charlotte zoned out for the rest of the dinner, and when it was done she went straight to the astronomy tower. Watching the stars had always been something Lottie enjoyed, she found them interesting.

She wasn't one of those people from muggle books who would sit and talk to the stars, she found that slightly strange, imagine someone overheard? Instead, Charlotte had the terrible habit of smoking.

Sure, she knew it was wrong, though she simply didn't care. Where she grew up, smoking was promoted as a good thing. People would do it at a young age and accidentally become addicted.

Sadly, Charlotte happened to be in that group of people.

She quite like it though. Sure the cigarette was bad, but she liked the stress relief it brang her, it was oddly calming in a slightly strange way, and as the chemicals filled her lungs, she felt relaxed.

And so there she was, a cigarette between her fingertips as she looked up at the stars. Sometimes she wondered if her mum was watching down on her. She knew her mum had died from dragon pox, she had done her research when she started Hogwarts, and luckily enough for her, Charlotte had managed to figure it out.

She knew that her father had taken her to the orphanage the day after her mother died, and sure she didn't know the full story, but she had pretty much pieced it together.

Her dad had taken her as soon as her mum died, in Charlotte's eyes it was purely because he didn't want her.

Why would he want to be a single dad?

In an odd way, she understood it. She didn't forgive him, she never would, however she could understand his point of view.

His wife died, he stayed with his friends and left her, they were all a happy family now. Charlotte wouldn't of fit into any of the new categories, so he simply threw her aside without a care in the world about it.

A/N

Ok I'm done for today imma knock out

Qotd: favourite album rn?

Word count: 1500