𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

Remus Lupin looked down at his wife with pure sadness. Dragon Pox had taken over and he was losing her ever so slowly, it was torture to watch.

"Remus, my love." Adelaide whispered. She seemed nothing but relaxed, she had let the disease take over, she allowed it to swallow her whole. She was going to die and she knew it, she accepted it a long time ago. "Look after Lottie, give her the best childhood possible, okay?"

Remus nodded, he felt like he had a lump in the back of his throat, he could feel the tears building up and yet he couldn't let them out. He had cried so so much and he knew he couldn't let them out again.

"Love her with everything you have, be strong for me." The red head continued, "make sure she shares your chocolate addiction and make sure she's always smiling."

"I will." He nodded, wiping his eyes gently.

Remus had spent months thinking about this moment, yet even when it was here it didn't feel real. It was wrong, his beauty of a wife should not have to endure this at such a young age, it was awful.

Adelaide took his hands. "I love you more then anything in the world, please don't spend your days missing me okay? Have a beautiful life, you're still young, make sure you enjoy yourself."

Once again, Remus nodded, unable to form words.

"Make more memories, our suffering is over now, take that as your sign to start fresh."

Adelaide's chest was getting tighter, her mouth was harder to move and she could hardly get out any words. It was her time, she knew it was coming, she knew her life was coming to an end in this very moment. It was strange, what comes after death? An afterlife? Reincarnation? Or nothing at all, perhaps? She had a good nature though, she wanted to rest, she didn't want to be in pain anymore, she needed to let go.

"I will."

"I love you Remus Lupin."

"I love you too Adelaide Winters." He sniffed and with that, his wife closed her eyes, her heart rate slowed and Remus felt his heart drop.

He wasn't ready for her to go. He had so much he wanted to say, he wanted to make memories with her, he wanted to look into her clear blue eyes just one more time and yet she was gone. How was he going to raise a child? He could barely look after himself.

The rest was a blur to the man who was trying his hardest to keep calm. He had gone over the key parenting tips for months, he knew what he had to do, but everything was slipping from his fingers as it all came to an abrupt stop. Remus was helpless, who on Earth was he kidding? He couldn't do this alone, not at all!

The doctors made their way over, trying their best to keep Adelaide alive but it was too late, she was gone and Remus was alone.

He sat there for a while, the world a blur around him as tears trickled down his cheeks, he didn't know what to do with himself, how to tell his beautiful little girl that mummy was gone or how to tell his beautiful girl that he didn't even know if he could survive this loss. Remus knew that this was going to be miserable, to keep a child under his roof would be unfair, what if he spent the rest of his days depressed in his bedroom unable to fully care for her? He didn't know for sure that he could provide her with what a child needed, and now he had put himself into an awful decision of whether her should or shouldn't even remain in full custody of her.

But of course, if not living at his own house, then where?

Apparating home, he sat on the floor allowing the pain to take over. He cried for hours until his body went numb and his eyes were red raw, all he could feel was pain...

𓅷𓅷𓅷

The next morning, Remus apparated over to the Potter household where his daughter was.

"Remus?" Lily frowned.