Shoji Mezo x Reader: Hidden

I sure do love Shouji and someone brought to my attention that there wasn't that much content on him on Wattpad. I didn't really know that! Thank you to birdykane.tumblr.com for making a post about Shoji's face, it really inspired me for this oneshot. Enjoy!

You had known Shoji for a few years before you two got into U.A. High together. He lived in your neighborhood so you two had gone to the same middle school, and then you both decided to test out your skills for the U.A. entrance exams.

He was your best friend, your confidant! You told him everything, from your dreams to your petty dislikes but there was just one thing that he had never told you.

"Hey Shoji?"

"Yes?"

"What does your face look like?" you blurted. You two were lounging on the couch in the living room of his house, studying for the English test Present Mic was going to give in a few days but you were getting kind of bored. So might as well ask some pressing questions right?

"Like this." he said, gesturing to his face with one of his hands. "What do you mean?"

"But you're still wearing your mask. We've been friends for years and years and I've never seen your face once, even when you eat you just use one of your dupli arms to eat for you." you said pointing to one of his many arms.

Shoji's eyes widened for a moment and he averted his gaze. "Well I told you why I wear a mask right?"

"Yeah...you said it was because you were in an accident, but that's kind of vague you know? You know you can trust me Shoji, I won't judge you or anything...I'm just curious."

"I understand y/n. I'm sorry I wasn't completely forthright with you...it's not really fair." Shoji said, one of his hands reaching for the light blue mask on his face. "It might be slightly...shocking to see, but I hope you can still imagine me as a hero." He tugged at the mask, pulling it down to his chin giving you a full view of his uncovered face.

His teeth were large and sharp, much like Kirishima's teeth but he also had two large scars cut across his sharp cheekbones on both sides of his face. The scars went all the way to his chin and cut past the corners of his mouth, making his lips seem slightly crooked.

"W-When I was little I was in a bad accident, so I decided to just cover my face. I think a hero should look a certain way and perhaps...what I look like isn't what a hero should look like. A hero should be more inviting looking." Shoji explained. You nodded in understanding but you just had to say something about his logic.

"Shoji, thank you for showing me," you started. He smiled and put the mask back in its place. "but you don't have to hide your face just because you're going to be a hero. There are plenty of heroes that don't look a certain way...like Ectoplasm, Thirteen, oh and Gang Orca, I mean there are countless heroes that are--"

"Scary-looking?" Shoji said, chuckling a little bit at his joke.

"No...I actually think you look very handsome Shoji...you definitely look like a real hero and anyone who says otherwise is just being mean!" you practically shouted at Shoji, who just stayed completely still most likely due to surprise at your outburst. "I-I really do mean that Shoji and I'll punch the lights out of whoever disagrees!"

"Haha, you don't have to do that for me y/n."

"But I can and I will. That's what friends are supposed to do after all." you replied with a smile. Shoji nodded his head, and without warning he reached for your hand to grasp it in his. He lightly pressed his lips on top of your knuckles, practically making your heart leap in your chest. "S-Shoji!? What are you doing?"

Shoji inhaled sharply and he quickly removed his hand from yours. "A-Ah I'm sorry y/n, I wasn't thinking...it just...it just felt right to me." he explained, running one hand through his silver hair. You gazed at him and felt your cheeks burn just by making eye contact with him now. He had made his move...now what would yours be?

"Well...this feels right to me." you said. With a surge of newfound confidence you leaned forward and cupped the sides of his face with your hands, bringing his face closer to yours. Your lips made contact with the soft fabric of his mask and you could just barely feel Shoji's hot breath on your skin.

You stayed still for a few seconds before removing your lips to see his reaction. "S-Shoji..."

His eyes were wider than you had ever seen them and even from behind his mask you could tell that his mouth was agape in surprise. "Y/n...I wasn't really expecting getting that from just kissing your hand. I should have kissed your hand ages ago!"

"Pfft! Yeah I guess so." you said with a bright smile. "C-Can I take off your mask for a bit...to properly kiss you?"

"Of course." Shoji said. You tenderly grasped at the mask and pulled it down. Without hesitation you dove in for a kiss, and felt Shoji gasp at the contact. His dupli arms pulled you closer to him and you lost yourself in his strong embrace.

"Thank you Shoji," you mumbled against his lips, "thank you for trusting me with your secret."