Chapter 171: The Guardian

"This form..." Erica took a moment of silence and observed Michael. Erica noticed Michael's two massive wings split into four smaller wings. Also, most of Michael's masculine qualities faded, becoming far more androgynous. "This is the same form Sissy faced isn't it?"

"Perhaps." Michael answered vaguely. "Truth be told I don't remember much of that night."

"Well, I do remember one thing." Michael lightly laughed and cruelly smiled. "I remember Irene being dead at my feet."

Erica's passive stare transformed into a dark glare.

"You-" Erica bit her tongue. For years Michael purposely chose to torment her like this. At every chance he got, Michael would taunt Erica, reminding her how he cruelly slaughtered her beloved Sissy.

At first, Erica would ignore the taunts. She knew if she harbored on it for too long, it'd only bring her to tears. However, the years of torment only managed to build up Erica's animosity until it eventually drove her mad.

Erica balled her fist and darkened her heart. There was little sympathy Erica had left for Michael. For a long time, a part of her wanted to save Michael. She thought that there had to be a part of him that was still redeemable.

However, throughout the past year, Michael had only proved that he was a man twisted by hate, no different than Mei.

"You're a real cunt you know that." Erica growled, and for once, Michael looked appalled. It was difficult to imagine such foul words coming from Erica's mouth. But at this point, Erica no longer cared. Every bottled emotion poured out of Erica at once in the shape of rage.

"How repulsive." Michael's iconic smile faded. Like Erica, there was little emotional attachment that remained. At a time, he found himself very attracted to Erica. She was as strong as she was beautiful, but that strength came with a few caveats.

Unlike the other Heroes in the Hero Association, Erica possessed a strong will. She'd never bend to Michael fully or become submissive. At times she'd obey, but only when Michael's thinking aligned with hers.

It was one of the traits Michael respected and one of the traits he hated most.

"You truly are a thorn in my side Erica." Michael cursed and spread his wings. "Your dedication to Irene's dream blinds you."

"No, that isn't true." Erica's voice smoothed, becoming as tranquil as water. "It's because of Sissy's dream that I am able to see a clear path. Unlike you, I'm aware of my role in all of this."

Michael's eyes narrowed. "And what role is that? To die here as a sacrificial pawn?"

"No, of course not." Erica mildly smirked. "My role is something you'll never understand. But it's something you've spent your life trying to be."

Michael fell silent.

"I am a bridge, for the previous generation's dreams to be passed onto the next." Erica's face grew serious, and her tone deepened. "I spent my entire life wondering what my purpose was. I always thought I'd become a hero and fight by Sissy's side. But fate determined that wasn't my destiny..."

"I had to endure many hardships to understand my purpose." Erica admitted. "I lost so many people to get to this point." Erica frowned, and her eyes trembled, begging to water.

But Erica resisted the urge and continued.

"I lost Sissy."

"I lost my Sensei."

"I lost my husband."

"And I even lost my children."

"I've reached the point where I'm determined not to lose anything ever again. But something like that is more easier said than done." Erica lightly sighed. "So I decided I'll become the bridge, and the guardian that shields the next generation from the likes of you. So as long as I continue standing, I will continue to cultivate them until they are ready to destroy you."