Chapter 63: Mind

There was a light pause in the air as the world went silent. The chirping of the birds dwindled, and the melodies of the pond vanished as well. To those there it felt like time had stopped, both Ren and Suzume found themselves unable to move completely paralyzed by her stare alone.

Ren's eyes were immediately drawn to her as he found himself unable to speak. 

She had a piercing glare, cold enough to freeze anyone in their tracks. 

"What is she doing here?" Ren took a deep breath as he silently stared at her "I thought Erica threw her in prison..."  Ren's eyes remained fixated on Sayuri, refusing to look away from her even for a single second. 

Sayuri wore a similar stare, but unlike Ren her attention was focused elsewhere. Her stare seemed to stretch for miles, causing Suzume to feel as if she were looking directly into her soul. She trembled somewhat before stepping back falling victim to her assault.

"It seems like you've forgotten your place in this family." 

There was a quick pause, for a moment Suzume stopped breathing. Her eyes shifted down along with the rest of her body forcing her into a kneel. "What is she doing here?" Suzume thought as her eyes frantically jolted. "I thought she was supposed to be in prison?" 

Sayuri's eyes narrowed "I asked you a question." 

"..." After a short pause Sayuri repeated herself "What do you think your doing bringing that Devil into our home?" Her voice felt like daggers, tearing Suzume from the inside out.

"A Devil?" Suzume repeated, her voice staggered a bit before responding in a nervous tone "Ren isn't a..." 

"Ren isn't a what?" Sayuri raised her head slightly "Go ahead and say it..." Sayuri immediately grit her teeth, allowing her anger to spew forth like a plague. Thick veins formed at the base of her eyes as she stared down Suzume.

The pressure of Sayuri's glare made Suzume feel as if she was being forced into the Earth. She sunk her head further to the ground gripping onto the grass tightly "I said nothing..."

"Are you calling me a liar?" Sayuri questioned, intensifying her gaze.

Suzume quickly shook her head, before raising it "No I'm not I am just..." Suzume then stopped herself. Both her and Sayuri's eyes met once again paralyzing her in a state of fear.

"You are just what?" Sayuri tightened her lips.

"Stop that." Ren stepped forward still cautiously keeping his distance from Sayuri.

Sayuri twisted her head to face Ren, her eyes had a blue glow to them making them fiercer than before "Who gave you permission to speak." She didn't raise her voice at all, instead still exerting the calm tone that she was always known for. 

"..." Ren fell silent

"I was speaking to Suzume not you." Sayuri reinstated.

Ren let out a soft sigh, still recovering from her vicious glares "If you couldn't tell, Suzume clearly doesn't want to talk to you."

"I wasn't giving her a choice." Sayuri quickly rebutted, both Ren's and Sayuri's eyes clashed creating a pressure that could be felt throughout the room.

Suzume was still unresponsive, she simply stared at her mother shivering uncontrollably with her mouth agape. 

Sayuri turned to Suzume once again and scowled "How long do you plan on sitting there and making a fool of yourself." Sayuri let out a deep breath "I'll ask one last time..." There was a short pause "Why did you bring this Devil into my home?"