Chapter 79: The Lone Wolf

"How is she?"

Jack gave the doctor a sharp look before biting down on his lips.

Normally Jack had little reason to worry about Natsumi. Like the other commanders she was strong, and someone you could depend on when the time called for it. But the situation that occurred last night was a bit different.

Not only were the opponents that they faced stronger than normal, but Natsumi also took some major blows. Even losing an arm at one point.

A light trail of sweat formed along Jack's forehead while his mind raced in worry.

She's fine...

She's fine

The captain is fine

Jack thought this over and over again, as if trying to convince himself that it was the truth, and when he'd come to believing it Jack would stare off at the side only to match the Doctor's old and weathered eyes. Seeing the look on the Doctor's face bothered him, if there was something wrong why wouldn't she tell him?

If Natsumi was alright why wouldn't she tell him? Jack rubbed his fingers against one another and let out a sigh. "Is she alright?" Jack then asked, raising a brow as his suspicions grew. His voice was a bit more desperate than usual, emitting a level of distress that normally wasn't present.

"For fucks sake..." The Doctor muttered, her voice was old and bitter "Quit yer yapping, she's as fine as she'll ever be!"

Even though the Doctor's words were a bit harsh Jack still wearily smiled "Thank god..." With those words a massive weight was lifted from his shoulders. "And her arm?"

"Quit blasting me with questions, and go ask her yourself." The Doctor nagged. The Doctor always acted like this, unlike many within Lupus she had a nasty attitude and was always angry for no apparent reason.

"Ask her?" Jack looked at the door with a curious gaze. He hadn't seen Natsumi in hours, and even though he knew she needed rest Jack was curious on her condition.

Ask her...

Do I even have the right to face her?

Jack stood like a statue in front of the door, frozen in place by the heaviness of his steps. He thought about the previous night and the battle that occurred. He had left a couple minutes prior by the orders of Zhu Li to patrol the surrounding city. Still he insisted that he should stay knowing that a battle with Top Heroes could go either way. But with a similar line of thinking to Zhu Li, Natsumi also insisted that he patrol.

Of course Jack knew why both Natsumi and Zhu Li chose to do this. Because unlike them he wasn't a commander, instead merely a pupil learning as much as he can under their tutelage. He could only assume they sent him away knowing that a battle between Commanders and Heroes can be catastrophic, and that his presence would only hinder them from going all out.

Although from Jack's eyes it didn't seem like either party was going all out until the fight's conclusion, when he stepped into the battle. Jack thought about Erica briefly before turning his head. The vision of her pained face still haunted him. To see someone with such a bloody expression made his stomach turn.

In all honesty it was a lucky shot...

In a straight up brawl Jack knew he wouldn't have been able to do much to Erica, let alone a fatal wound.

Jack sunk his head further, allowing his mind to broaden welcoming deeper thoughts.

Although Jack had killed other heroes, Erica was the first one that bothered him. He could sense something different about her, the vibe she gave off didn't seem nearly as corrupt nor in her final moments did she beg for her life.