Chapter 106: Laughter

"A perfect teacher?" Ren's voice dipped slightly drowning with anger. "You can't seriously believe that can you? That Mei, fucking Mei would be a good teacher for me!" Ren quickly raised his voice Arthur's suggestion felt more like an insult.

"Ren please..." Arthur bit down on his lower lip "Calm down and just hear me out." Arthur's voice lowered falling into a quiet whisper. 

Ren took a deep breath attempting to calm down, but each time he tried the more his chest burned. The anger inside has manifested into a painful flame, one that wasn't capable of being contained any longer. 

"Calm down? Calm down, you want me to calm down!" Ren knew doing something like that would be impossible. His emotions were burning hotter than ever before "After everything that has happened how do expect me to do something that?" 

Arthur stayed silent, he knew Ren was right. To ask something like that after everything that has happened would be cruel.

"You just told us that a war is coming, and that there is a good chance we won't even be able to stop it!" Ren stepped forward crossing the room to make his way towards Arthur. The members of Blight immediately reacted to this, reaching into their cloaks to grab a hold of their unique weapons. But before they could fully draw them Arthur gave them a look ordering them to stand down.

Ren's scarlet eyes clouded slowly eroding in anger, but leaving everyone in the room paralyzed in fear.

But Sarah and Dustin watched anxiously unsure what Ren was going to do. With how sporadic his gestures were both were certain Ren was preparing to strike Arthur down. But if Ren were to do that what would Michael do? Would he strike back, and if so what would that mean for Ren.

Sarah focused her eyes on Michael finding it difficult to read his stone like expression. Similar to Arthur, Michael remained silent simply observing and waiting to speak when the moment calls for it.

"You told us that innocent students many of which haven't even experienced the heat of battle would get their first taste of it fairly soon, and many of which will die in that same battle." Ren's voice cooled, lowering its tone but increasing its hostility. Similar to before Ren's expression changed. He didn't allow his rage to explode in massive burst, instead he manipulated it allowing to spill slowly. 

Everyone in the room could sense it, a sea of wrath. Something so create it could no longer be contained within a single body and would be forced to consume everything around it.

"And you expect me to calm down after hearing that?" Ren growled "You expect me to calm down knowing that I could possibly die. My friends could die. And even my girlfriend..." Ren's pupils grew while his eyes became far more clear gaining an almost crystal like appearance. 

He pictured it. Ren imagined himself torn apart with Marionette's swords sticking out of his stomach. Ren saw Dustin lying before him with his throat slashed. Sarah pinned and strangled. Olivia sprawled on the ground with blood coming out of her mouth. Then finally Suzume laying on top of him torn to ribbons.

It was haunting thought, one that lurked over him constantly serving as a reminder for the fate left in store for all of them.

That wasn't a fate he wanted for himself, and that wasn't a future he wanted for his loved ones. Once again Ren thought about Suzume, the bloody image of her death burned into his brain. With Suzume's current mindset, and with this war brewing a fate like that only seemed inevitable. A fate like that seemed inescapable. A fate like that was the only thing possible.

That mental image scarred Ren's mind ripping it apart bit by bit with claws of rage. The last thing Ren wanted was for Suzume to sacrifice herself. Especially of his sake, in truth Ren would rather die a pathetic death rather than see a loved one die before him.

Michael raised his head now noticing the change in Ren's expression. From the one look alone Michael could only sense anger, a seething fire ready to burst at any second. It wasn't the first time Michael had witnessed such an expression, in fact he had seen it many years ago on Irene when she first declared war on the Hero Association.

Only love could conjure an expression like that.

While still carrying his stone like expression Michael's hand lowered for his sword Feather. With the memory of Irene still clear in his mind Michael was not willing to allow history to repeat itself once again with Ren. Another Wolfe that had been fatefully spared.

Seth noticed this from the corner of his eye and raised a brow.