Chapter 78: Choices

I am the Phoenix of legend
Born from ash and killed by fire
I am forced to endure an endless cycle
Ignorant to life
And privy to death
Resisted flames for generations, anticipating one's rebirth.
I rue nothing, this was my destiny
My whole life is Irene's Dream

It was rare for Natsumi to question her own decisions.

To Natsumi every option that she had needed to be weighed upon some sort of mental scale. Allowing her to evaluate the situation and to eventually come to a decision with the best outcome.

A single mistake...

A single miscalculation...

Could not only endanger the lives of her allies, but also the life of the last bit of family she had left.

But this was different...

With a single swing of Natsumi's blade everything could end. The lives of her Allies would no longer be in danger, but Ren's life certainly would be. The fear of that plagued Natsumi's mind, leaving her to hesitate on making a final decision.

So with pale eyes Natsumi looked on, watching Erica desperately drag herself away leaving a trail of blood behind her. It was pitiful to see Erica in such a degrading state, the powerful presence Erica was known for was no longer exist. Devolving Erica into a woman desperately clinging to life.

With a single swing this could all end...

With a single swing Natsumi would be one step closer towards Irene's Dream.

But still even while knowing that something felt odd to Natsumi. This didn't feel like a true victory, something to be celebrated or even something to look back on with fond memories. Erica's defeat only brought an empty feeling within Natsumi's heart.

"Hah...Ahh..." Although not very loud, Erica's voice traveled through the dark area, bringing life to Natsumi's cold eyes.

"I can't die...I can't..." Natsumi's gaze flashed, reawakening a memory she kept hidden for years now. A memory no matter how much time passed, Natsumi found herself unable to forget.

As if history were repeating itself, Natsumi envisioned Michael stabbing Irene in a similar fashion. Desperately trying to survive, not for own sake but for kids...

The blades in Natsumi's hands felt heavy, not only because of Natsumi's previous injuries but also because of the memories flowing within Natsumi's mind. The simple thought of comparing herself to Michael drove Natsumi mad.

I am not like him...

I am not like him...

I am not like him...

The closer Natsumi got to Erica, the more Natsumi envisioned Irene's final moments. To Natsumi the memory was as clear as day, as if reliving it for a second time. Natsumi could remember Irene's waning voice, and Natsumi could remember the victorious look on Michael's face.

Even though the situations are similar Natsumi knew deep down things were different. Natsumi didn't get much satisfaction out of seeing Erica like this. Even though Natsumi originally thought she would...

Seeing Erica like this only felt sickening, causing Natsumi's stomach to jumble.

Although this sickening feeling didn't come from any compassion Natsumi had for Erica. It mainly stemmed from knowing Natsumi would be the direct cause of Ren's pain. The emotional abuse Ren would have to suffer alone would be because of her.

Natsumi's face darkened when she thought of this, of course Natsumi knew this would eventually happen, but it wasn't something Natsumi had prepared to deal with...