Chapter 169: From Heaven to Hell (2)

"Those are big words coming from you." As expected, Michael expressed nothing but glee when speaking to Ren. His golden smile radiated in the night like a burning star, bringing forth light even within the dead of night. "Have you forgotten our last encounter?"

"Or perhaps..." Michael's face darkened, "shall I remind you?"

Instinctively Ren touched his scar, remembering the pain. Even after the limitless cycle of death and rebirth, the lone wound Michael left never healed.

"I haven't forgotten." Ren gripped his shoulder frowned. "That memory still haunts me."

"Yet you stand here before me. Why is that?" Michael asked, narrowing his eyes. "You've realized there is no chance of defeating me, so why? Is this your pathetic attempt in giving your life some sort of meaning? Or perhaps this is your way of fulfilling Irene's prophecy?"

"Regardless of the reasoning behind it, opposing me now is pointless. All you're doing is stalling the inevitable, not misdirecting your fate." Michael raised his finger and pointed, and Ren felt as if he had been stabbed. "You will die here Renji Tachibana."

"That's fine." Ren replied honestly, all sense of hope faded from his voice. From the moment Ren sensed Michael, he understood it was his duty to become the sacrificial pawn. "I've died nearly a hundred times now, dying again won't make a difference."

Flames rotated around Ren, whirling, twirling, and swirling until transforming into a scorching tornado. The heat of Ren's fire spread through the air like an infectious disease. Some of the heroes braced themselves, shielding their eyes from the blue sunlight. While others reacted, cautiously anticipating the first attack.

Blue flames coated Ren from head to toe, giving him the appearance of a human torch.

The fires roared and hissed like a hellish whirlwind until they transformed into something much more. Flames danced like blue winds gravitating around Ren. The pressure that came from the fire was like being sucked into the eye of a tornado.

Michael watched silently; his interest had been piqued. The pressure he felt now was the same as he felt over a decade ago, during his legendary battle with Irene.

Back then, Michael experienced death. Even while knocking on death's door, Irene fought like a beast out of hell. Michael had been on the defensive for the entirety of the battle, avoiding fatal sword strikes and barely surviving nasty burns.

However, through the power of God, Michael was allowed to survive. When Irene grabbed his face and burned him to the bone, Michael rose again, empowered by a divine light.

In the battle with Irene, Michael experienced death 13 times, and 13 times Michael had conquered death.

Like a phoenix crafted by the hands of God, Michael rose from the ashes. But when Michael returned, he no longer possessed a human body. His body had transcended the world of man and reached a state only obtainable by some.

True Enlightenment.

After reaching this state of being, Michael appeared before Irene. His confidence boosted, and his power unrivaled. Even without being told, Michael knew he was a God among men, and it was his duty to lead them towards a path of light.

However, Irene's existence obstructed the light in the world. Irene's ideals tainted the world's light and brought in nothing but darkness. So with his newfound power, Michael continued his fight with Irene.

Even with the power he was granted, Irene was a sight to behold. The strength she possessed was unlike any other, a true anomaly among men.

Irene had struck Michael with a decisive blow using her signature technique Azure Flash. By many Azure Flash was considered the strongest sword swing. Strong enough to even rival the power granted by Excalibur.