Chapter 76: Worthy

There were very few times where Seth felt welcoming towards Heroes, and unfortunately this wasn't one of those times.

With clouded eyes Seth looked on, watching Arthur carefully from the comfort of his couch.

Seth had never liked Arthur, after all Arthur was someone of low birth. A stray dog that Michael found somewhere along the streets of Britain. But for some reason Arthur was given the chance to alter his life, and prove to the world he had a purpose much greater than anyone else.

The glass in Seth's hand began to crack unable to withstand the storm of emotions raging within Seth's head.

"Why him?" It was a question Seth posed to himself countless times, but no matter how many times he asked, Seth was never given a proper answer. With Seth's eyes evolving into a narrow glare he watched Arthur passively hand Excalibur over to Sarah.

Unlike Seth, Sarah was a bit more welcoming. Even though she had her own distaste for Arthur, Sarah was never rude enough to let that show. With a fickle smile Sarah accepted the blade, knowing full well this would probably be her only chance to ever hold it.

"It's so light..." Sarah thought, awing the blade as if it were a hidden gem. Sarah's eyes scanned the scabbard admiring the brilliant gold and silver colors that decorated it. Even though it had been years since Arthur had taken the mighty sword, the scabbard itself looked as if the blade had never been unsheathed.

"..." Sarah's grip on Excalibur tightened, and her head turned sharing a short stare with Arthur before looking away once more. Sarah was fully aware of Arthur's accomplishments, not only as an independent Hero, but even when he was working directly under Michael as a sidekick.

Sarah knew how much Excalibur had been used, and how many battles Arthur had faced while dawning Excalibur as his primary weapon. So by seeing the state that Excalibur was currently in did make Sarah ponder.

"I made sure to polish him everyday."

Sarah glanced over only to meet Arthur's thin smile. Arthur didn't seem nearly as boisterous as before, but his presence still radiated with an undying charisma.

Sarah's lips curved somewhat, desperately wanting to form a smile, but finding themselves unable to. 

"Him?" Eventually Sarah raised a brow to this. Even though it was common for people to assign names or even genders to specific items. Like boats, cars, or even weapons most of the time the names and gender assigned to it was female.

Arthur replied to her with a distant stare, seemingly a bit baffled "Yes him..."

Sarah of course was aware that Excalibur and Arthur shared a bond that no one could replicate. But it seems like that bond might be something beyond even her understanding. Like before Sarah looked down at Excalibur, and then immediately looked up at Arthur. 

"I wonder why Excalibur chose you..." Although light, Sarah's words were sharp causing Arthur's smile to descend into a subtle frown.

Of course Arthur was aware of the Vermillion's resentment towards him. Even though he didn't personally agree with their grudge, he could sympathize with them...

Excalibur was their treasured heirloom, a weapon that not only protected Vermillion city but even gave birth to an era known as the age of heroes. If it wasn't for Excalibur the Vermillion Family wouldn't be as beloved or revered as they are now.

But unlike the other families, the Vermillion's were the only ones unable to wield their heirloom, and also the only family to have it stripped from them.

Arthur glanced over at Sarah, before moving over to Seth. Seth was oddly quiet throughout the entire conversation, but even without saying anything Arthur could already sense how he felt.