Chapter 61: A Distant Dream

This hell is his world

This was his reward for walking down the path he believed in

The end of his dream

He fought endlessly hoping to bring forth the world he desperately wished for

Only to see it fall to ruin...

"Hah..." A light gasp rolled in the wind, as a warrior stood alone on the battlefield.

"Hah..." He gasped once more, although this time seemed much heavier than the last.

"Peter..." He leaned forward gripping is sword, using at it some sort of leverage to keep himself standing.

"Homura..." As he finally muttered the second name, the tone of his voice seemed to change sounding much heavier than before. 

He lowered his head, as an odd sound came out of him. It was difficult to tell what it was at first, but as he raised his head everything became more clear. He let out a thick gasp as he choked on his own tears, allowing transparent rivers to fall down his face "Homura..."

"I...."

"I...." he fumbled on his words repeatedly, as he transitioned between a variety of emotions.

"I...just wanted to bring a little good into this world..." He lowered his head once again eyeing the mountain of corpses below him. Most of the bodies shared similar features, possessing scarlet eyes, dark skin, and hair as dark as charcoal. "But I've done nothing but create more bloodshed..."

His hands began to tremble along the hilt of his sword. Tears fell onto his hands and made their way down the blade cleaning the blood off of it revealing the mark of the stallion.

"Homura I...."

"I..." finally the pent up emotions burst forth like a wave of water "I failed!" he cocked his head back releasing a cry that could be heard even in the heavens.

All he could do is grieve for all that happened 

To ask for forgiveness for the things he had done

But in the end there was nothing he could do, to erase the mark that would inevitably be left in history for the event that transpired that day

When the existence of Devils finally came to an end

*****

"Hah...?" With a small turn Arthur's eyes opened only to be filled with tears. Arthur glanced over, only to see his beloved sword hoisted onto the wall next to him, releasing the radiant light it was always known for.

"Excalibur..." Arthur said lightly, almost as if he expected a response. The connection he had with his sword could be seen as an odd one. It wasn't one that could be properly explained with swords, but one that could be understood by very few. 

"Those visions...no..." Arthur paused "Those memories, are of your last wielder aren't they? The one they call Sawyer." Arthur narrowed his eyes as he slowly wiped his tears from them "What a tragic end for such a magnificent man..."

The light emitting from Excalibur slowly waned before the sword reverted back to a dormant state. Arthur stared at the sword for a moment, before letting out a soft sigh and lying back in his bed.

"Excalibur..."  Arthur raised his hands placing behind his head as he stared up at the ceiling. It was the first time he had ever seen his sword react this way, but it seems like his sword has been doing a multitude of things to surprise him as of recently.