Chapter 127: Becoming The Phoenix

"Renji..."

"Renji..."

"Renji!"

A womanly voice filled Ren's ears as his body was consumed by the storm. A sea of fire. Brilliant blue flames that devoured everything that crossed their path. Creating nothing, and destroying everything. Acting like a cataclysmic force that could not be stopped.

Ren paid no mind to the womanly voice. Ignoring it the same way he always had.

For months he heard her call.

For months he envisioned her in his dreams.

His sweet Mother, The Azure Dragon Irene.

"Where am I...?" Ren's voice carried on like an echo as he walked through the sea of flames. Ren glanced around with withered eyes, already appearing exhausted despite only existing in this world for a few minutes. "Where am I...?" Ren asked this again, looking to the blazing sea seeking an answer and receiving crackling in return.

Ren calmly looked away continuing his walk through the blue Hell with no destination in sight.

"Renji! You have to listen to me you aren't supposed to be here! You need to wake up!"

Once again Ren heard Irene's voice but paid no mind to it. His mind had already grown dull to her existence, now viewing it as another thorn in his side. No different than Michael, and no different than Marionette.

Up until this point all Irene's actions have done is make Ren's life worse. Either with the years worth of resentment people had for her, and having no one to beat it on. Or through her mistakes reforming themselves as problems in the current day. With the rise of Lupus and their plans to commence in a war with the Hero Association.

"Fuck off..." Ren growled. Irene had yet to manifest in any physical form. But Ren could feel her presence around him, and hear her voice speaking to him from within the flames.

"Renji! Listen to me, you have to stop this! You cannot keep walking this path! This isn't the future I saw for you!"

"Tsk..." Ren bit his tongue, once again feeling his anger swell and dance inside of him like a flamboyant dragon. "Fuck off!" Ren snapped turning his back to scream at the flames. "I don't give a shit what future you saw for me! I am sick and tired of having my life manipulated by you! I am not some tool to use for your fucking satisfaction!"

The blue flames shrunk, losing its initial brilliance and dulling in color as if sobbing.

"But you don't understand..."

"...this path will only lead to."

"Shut up...shut up...shut up...SHUT UP!" Ren's flaming eyes pulsed growing large momentarily as if ready to burst. "Just leave me alone, I don't want anything to do with you or that stupid dream of yours." Ren quickly scowled "I've already seen how fulfilling your dream has split my family apart. I won't any part in it. I just want all this to end, and if I listen to you that won't ever happen."

Once again Ren sensed sadness through the flames. Feeling its tears each time the azure flames touched his skin.

"What are you doing Ren? Why are you making Mom cry?"

Ren quickly turned at the sound of the voice "Natsumi?" With a swift turn Ren saw Natsumi standing in the sea of flames wearing her usual concerned frown.

"Can't you see everything she's done has been for you."

Ren felt his heart shatter "Natsu what are you talking about." Ren fumed "Can't you see all this is just part of her plan to deceive us. Irene isn't a woman capable of love. Everything she has done is out of her own self interest, not out of care or genuine love for us." Ren's frown sunk deeper as if trying to reach the depths of the ocean itself "All we are just pawns in achieving that dream of her's, and I won't let you or myself get caught in any of it."