Chapter 197: Scorching Rage

"I win again."

Nyssa flew. She was always flying. As a Sky Dragon Nyssa had a natural affinity for flight. She could fly with her wings or create platforms made of clouds to walk across the sky.

However, this time Nyssa's method of flight was a bit different than the previous methods. She discovered a new way of flying unique to her and only her.

By being flung across the room like a fucking ragdoll.

Nyssa wasn't sure how many times she spun or how long she was spinning for. It felt like hours, and her mind was going dizzy. She saw colors. Green. Brown. Black. And finally a cold silver. Nyssa hit the ground first before coming to a sudden halt. She rolled a few times and bounced, cracking her back against a stone pillar shaped like a Lóng.

"To be honest, I was surprised when you asked me to train you. I know how you are and you know how I am. You've never shown any interest for fighting up until now. Whenever I've asked you about hero work you've always answered with maybes and I don't knows. What changed?"

Nyssa slowly recovered. She rolled to her stomach and looked at the face of the dragon. Erica was watching her with a toothy smile. Her mother always had a way of making her feel little in comparison to her.

"No matter how big I grow I'll always be a child compared to her..."

"Mama..." Nyssa wanted to cry. Whenever things got rough sobbing was always Nyssa's go to. If she ever whined Erica would comfort her. She'd tell Nyssa to rest easy while hugging her and kissing her.

But the Erica that was training her now wasn't the "Mama" Nyssa was used to. Her entire demeanor had changed. Erica's eyes no longer carried a certain playfulness to them. They were tense and heavy like staring at steel beams.

"I won't get sympathy from her. Not now." Nyssa concluded. She picked herself up and held her stomach. It was throbbing. Likely bruised from the burly punch Erica gave her.

"Everything." Nyssa tried to toughen up. If Erica was like steel, then Nyssa needed to be titanium. She couldn't allow herself to break beneath the pressure. Not now and not ever. "Everything has changed Mama. The world has changed. I have changed and so as everyone around me."

"I can't be Nyssa anymore..." She said lightly.

A faint glow ignited in Erica's eye. Her interest was clearly piqued.

"What do you mean?" Erica asked. "What does being Nyssa mean to you?"

Nyssa let the question simmer like freshly made soup. "Being Nyssa means being weak." Nyssa reflected on her life. At every point she was losing control. She lost control and burned down Central Vermillion City. She lost control and attacked Sarah and nearly killed Seth. She lost control and devoured Ellie like a feral beast.

"I don't want to be weak anymore Mama. I want to be strong. I want to be like you and be useful to everyone. I want to help you and Renny. I want to make things up to Seth and Sarah. I want to make things right by helping all of you defeat Michael. I want to have a role in all of this!"

Erica listened to Nyssa rant. Her anger wasn't shocking and her frustrations were justified. If Erica were in her shoes, she'd feel the same. No, at one point, Erica was in her shoes. During the era that was dubbed by some as the "Golden Age" Erica wanted to fight.

She wanted to stand on someone's side. Either fighting alongside Irene hoping to understand her. Or fighting against Irene trying to stop her from throwing the world into chaos.

At the time Erica was indecisive. She didn't know what side to fight for and didn't have the strength to strike down Irene if it came down to it. For one, Irene was vastly stronger than her, and Erica was too emotionally attached to finish Irene off if the opportunity presented itself.