Chapter 66: A Dragon's Bite

Something isn't right

Ren watched carefully as the world around him began to change. The school halls would move, swaying in every direction as he remained still. 

"What is this..."

The longer Ren stood there the more the halls would change, expanding outwards indefinitely until the walls were no longer visible. The simple act of staring made Ren's eyes begin to sway causing a nauseating sensation to swirl within.

"What's going on..."  For a brief moment Ren's thoughts stopped as the grogginess he felt earlier once again resurfaced. In addition to the fluctuating movements of the halls Ren's visions gradually began to blur.

"Ugh..."

"Renji?"

"What is that?" Ren glanced over only to see nothing.

"Renji?" 

Once again the voice rang in his ears, it sounded familiar but Ren was unable to match the voice with a face.

"Who is that?"

"Whose calling me..."

...

...

"Renji!" The sudden jolt of Suzume's voice tore through Ren's mind causing him to stumble. He looked around with a frantic stare, only to see the concerned expression layered on Suzume's face.

"You're hurting me." Suzume's voice was light and an ounce of fear could be felt within it. 

"I'm what-" The world around Ren steadily began to flow like normal, but his mind remained stagnant. It took him a few seconds to fully realize what he was doing.

"Please let go..." Suzume's voice seemed a bit more eager than before, she moved oddly as if trying to pull something back.

Soon the weight of Suzume's words, as well as the weight of her hand trapped within his own finally sunk in.

"What am I..." Ren's eyes grew larger "What the hell am I doing!" As Ren looked down he noticed how tight his grip was around Suzume's hand. 

His entire hand was flexing strong enough to make his veins visible. He took a staggered breath unable to fully inhale due to the intensity of the situation. Ren looked over at Suzume who was still trying to pull hand back with a pain expression Ren hadn't seen in some time. 

Instantly after noticing the amount of pain she was in Ren let go, taking a few steps back to fully understand what he had done. 

Suzume let out a hollow groan, gripping her reddened hand. She clenched her jaw somewhat, before preparing to say something only to find herself stunned by the bulk of confusion found in Ren's face.

"I'm sorry...I" Ren hesitated to finish when the voices of others students weaved their way into his ears. Like before his eyes widened looking around only to meet piercing stares filled with judgment and confusion.

Ren stepped back awkwardly once again taking uneasy breaths "I..." once again he stopped himself unable to formulate his words to create a proper sentence.

Suzume watched carefully before looking around at the large crowd. Like Ren their words sunk in as well, forming a wall of tension that wasn't there before. Suzume quickly looked back at Ren only to see him in a panicked state something she hadn't witnessed in awhile.

"Are they arguing?" A girl questioned as she observed the situation.

"It's pretty fucked up for him to put his hands on her like that." A boy admitted who was also watching everything unfold.