Chapter 122: Mother

"Your King?" Ren looked on with heavy eyes "Why do you keep calling me your King?"

For a period of seconds Mei said nothing only smiled in the same manner she had always done. A smile so toxic it would poison even the most venomous of snakes.

Just by seeing how twisted Mei's smile was made Ren's heart skip a beat. Once again reminding him that Mei wasn't a woman he should fully trust. "She's only a tool..." Ren reminded himself "I'm only here to cooperate with her. Not to form some silly bond..." Ren told himself momentarily being reminded of Erica as well as Arthur.

Ren quickly shook off those thoughts bringing himself to reality by fixating his gaze upon Mei. "I'll just use her the same way she'll use me..."

"She's only a stepping stone..."

"Nothing more and nothing less..."

"It's simple really." Mei raised her head to look up at the high moon. It was it was bright and full of life, releasing a shower of light to shine upon them. "It's because you share the same eyes as Her..." Mei lowered her head reclaiming her blood soaked stare. Mei slowly raised her finger to her eyelid pulling it down with enough force to make Ren fear that she was going to tear it. "Red eyes are the eyes of a King."

Ren tilted his head at that "The eyes of a King?"

Mei slowly nodded continuing her piercing stare. Just seeing how lively Mei's eyes were made Ren feel uncomfortable. She never blinked simply stared and only spoke when she found it necessary. Simply sitting there made Ren feel like he was stuck between the jaws of a viper.

"Renji." Mei called widening her smile "Do you know why so few people in this world possess red eyes like you and I?" For a moment Mei waited for an answer, only to be given a clueless smile by the likes of Ren.

In truth Ren hadn't met many people with red eyes. Natsumi didn't possess red eyes like him. Neither did Irene, but Ren knew he inherited his red eyes from his father Makoto. The signature scarlet red eyes of the Fujiwara Clan, eyes that Mei seemed to have inherited as well.

Ren's head sunk with the question, playing with it as he thought about other people he had encountered in his life who possessed eyes similar to his own. Of course there was Nyssa, her crimson eyes were bright and beautiful holding a similar resilience to Erica's despite differing in color. Nyssa had inherited her eyes from her father a man known as Itsuki. Ren didn't know much about him aside from him being Erica's Husband and Erica always referring to him as "A nightmare from her past."

Aside from Nyssa the only other person Ren could think of was Michael. His eyes were closer in color to red wine, but were as sharp as daggers. Simply staring into them for too long made Ren fear that he'd be cut.

"I'm not sure..." Ren finally responded pulling himself back to reality.

Mei's smile softened resembling that of a Mother. By sliding over she shortened the distance between herself and Ren completely ignoring the boundaries between them. "That's fine..." Mei ensured staring deeply into Ren's eyes, she raised her hand to his face and caressed his cheek. "Soon I'll make sure you'll know everything."

"There won't be a single thing in this world that will be outside your grasp."

Ren felt his heart shudder. Mei had gotten so close he could smell her warm breath reminding him of ripened cherries. "..." Ren was left unspoken, unsure what to say to her or even do. It was the first time in awhile a woman had gotten so close to him.

"You look tired." Mei flared finally blinking. Ren could hear excitement growing in her voice, dulling its usual softness. Before Ren could say anything Mei adjusted her posture, shifting her body backwards to give Ren a full view of herself. "Would you like to rest your head in Auntie's lap?"