Chapter 58: Freedom

"He's still here?"

Erica thought this to herself, as she found herself awestruck by the scene taking place before her. Her eyes widened somewhat, as the intensity of the light bounced off of them, further illuminating the room in a golden glow.

Michael stood without making a single sound. The way he looked reminded her of a painting, the stillness of his body, and how elegant he seemed to be. 

His stare looked distant, almost as if it were looking for something, but still was unable to find it.

"How long do you plan on staring?" Michael asked as he turned his head towards her.

"..." Erica let out a small gasp, a bit startled by Michael's sudden words. But without wasting much time she regained her composure, and began to walk down the hall like before.

Michael watched her for a moment, before refocusing his attention on the vast city before him. Once again, recreating the scene that Erica was appalled by. 

Light echoes were created from the heaviness of Erica's steps as she walked past him.

"Don't do it." Erica thought "Don't be drawn in by him."

Erica's movements slowed, as her mind began to slip into a state of conflict. Her eyes narrowed, and her mouth twitched as the light casted by the sunset fell upon them.

"Thank you for standing up for me."

"Hm?" Michael turned his head slightly only to look genuinely surprised. His mouth quivered as if it were ready to speak, but Erica's words intercepted his own.

"All the things she was saying was making my blood boil, so if you didn't step in who knows what would have happened." Erica told him softly.

Michael slowly folded his arms, as a somewhat pleased look appeared on his face. It wasn't the same as the looks that he had before, that came across as smug or even driven by ego. 

This seemed much more somber...

Michael eventually smiled, as a small light flickered in his eyes.

"But..." Erica continued "My feelings for you still haven't changed." 

A layer of darkness tainted the light within Michael's eyes causing them to narrow. He looked away from her only to stare out the window once more allowing himself to be overtaken by his thoughts.

Erica did the same, she turned her head and her entire body followed giving her the strength to continue walking just like before.

But before she could take the first step, she heard Michael's voice once more.

"Is it because of Irene?" Michael asked, his voice was still light and didn't have the same weight as it did during the meeting. The emotions she felt from him seemed different, as if she were talking to a person, and not the embodiment of absolute justice.

She found herself unable to answer for a moment, the feelings she had were there, but the words she wanted to say wouldn't come out.

"That's fine."

"Huh?" An unwanted phrase escaped from Erica's mouth. She looked at him with a face of shock completely taken aback by his response. She expected him to be angry, to snap back at her somehow and rant going on some sort of spiel fueled by his sense of justice.