Chapter 139: Tears of a Dragon

"I see..." The anger on Erica's face faded while a longing stare quickly took its place. It was a look that Natsumi could easily recognize. Natsumi's face dimmed recalling how Erica looked that night. A face bathed in blood. A face showered by tears. A face too heavy to lift itself up, due to a decade's worth of regret weighing upon it.

Erica felt the regret spread coursing throughout her entire body like a paralyzing disease draining the remaining strength from her legs. Erica's legs buckled like a baby deer until she stumbled back to her bed.

"Erica." Natsumi called out to her but got no verbal response. Instead her only reply was a stare as gray as volcanic ash.

"Erica." Natsumi called once again now trying her best to bring the dragon woman back to her senses. However Natsumi's numerous attempts proved to be useless. Erica had drowned out the rest of the world by diving deep within her thoughts.

"I failed..." Erica mumbled, allowing the words to crawl between the cracks of her teeth. Erica internally visualized Irene dying by the hands of Michael.

"I failed..." Erica felt the words melt as they ran up her throat. Erica envisioned Itsuki shrouded in her green flames and screaming at her.

"I failed..." Erica felt the words tear at her from within looking for a way to get out. Erica thought about Nyssa and how after her numerous attempts to get her back all she has done is fail miserably.

Time and time again Erica failed. Time and time again Erica watched those around her vanish all because of one man. Michael, it always came back to Michael. Michael's pompous smile forged itself deep within Erica's mind, gleaming over her like a heavenly light.

Erica remembered seeing this smile every time they had met. A smile built off of confidence. A smile built off of strength. A smile built off of a once in a lifetime legacy, as well as Erica's never ending agony.

The grayness on Erica's face spread causing her entire world to appear dim. She had always hated Michael's smile. A smile that never faded. A smile that always felt like it was worn out of spite rather than happiness.

It always felt like he was laughing at her. As if watching her family fall like flies was the best entertainment Michael could ask for. But despite that, just like a puppet each time Erica played a part in their demise.

Memories flowed through Erica's head like hot tears, forcing open the deepest vaults within her mind like floodgates. Erica's mind first cued in on where it started years ago with Kazuto. Not long after Irene had returned from her travels across the world, unbeknownst to Erica Irene visited the Dragon Temple with her lover Makoto and newborn son Renji. Wishing to say her goodbyes to everyone there since she planned to take Natsumi flee across the world. Making sure that both of her children could live happily outside of the Hero Association's grasp.

However Erica wasn't there at the time, she was still undergoing internships beneath the Wind Hero Fujin alongside his granddaughter Ruriko. So when Itsuki informed her that Sissy had a child and was in town, Erica rushed to Irene's house to find her. Only to be met with Kazuto who was completely ignorant to Irene's pregnancy and arrival.

It was because of that cursed interaction that everything was set into motion.

The burning of the Dragon Temple.

The Ashe City inferno.

The formation of Lupus, and the complete annihilation of the Wolfe bloodline.

Every single event. Every single bloodstained event that was etched in history rested on Erica's shoulders.

"It's all my fault." Erica told herself, speaking in a dark and husky voice. "If I had just stayed silent. If I had just listened to Itsuki a little bit longer, none of this would've happened." It wasn't the first time Erica had blamed herself, nor would it be the last. Irene's death and the inevitable destruction of her entire family was on Erica's hands. "You'd still have your Mother. Your Father. Your Brother... and even your Uncle. Everyone would still be around if it weren't for me."