Chapter 166: A Reunion of Dragons (2)

Several questions stormed through Suzume's mind when she watched Sayuri unveil her hood. It had been months since Suzume had seen her mother. After Suzume chose to risk her life for Ren, all ties between them had been severed.

Suzume was banished from the Fumiko Clan. She wasn't allowed to learn their teachings nor considered a member of the family. However, even though Sayuri claimed Suzume had been banished, she never bothered to kick Suzume out.

"Why the hell are you here?" Suzume's words tasted bitter in her mouth. "I could've sworn you cut all ties from me..."

Sayuri clutched her sword and stared at Mei absently. A chill ran through the room like the dead hands of a ghost.

Suzume frowned and lowered her head. "Why do I even bother?" Suzume wasn't surprised Sayuri ignored her. After all, Sayuri hardly acknowledged Suzume for most of her life. "This isn't anything new." Suzume told herself, but anger still crept in.

Suzume couldn't understand what it was about her that drove Sayuri to hate her so much.

Was it because she wasn't as talented as Ryota?

Was it because she was the second born?

Or was it because she wasn't as apathetic as the typical Fumiko?

Regardless Suzume didn't know, and she wasn't sure she'd ever find out.

"Suzume, tend to your wounds and pull yourself together. Our fight isn't over yet." Sayuri never looked at Suzume; her haunting blue eyes remained fixated on Mei like a beast who had finally found its prey.

"Our fight?" Suzume grumbled. Her voice was dry and rough like a dragon holding flames in its mouth. "None of this has anything to do with you." Suzume tightened her grip on Feather and limped towards Sayuri's side.

"From the very beginning you've done nothing but try to kill Renji..." Suzume raised Feather to Sayuri's neck. "If you try to do it again I'll carve out your throat..."

Sayuri glanced at Suzume's sword. It had been years since she had last seen Irene's famed blade. The last time Feather was this close to her face was when Irene had used it to dice up Shigure.

With a single finger, Sayuri pressed her finger against Feather, pushing it back with a weak shove. A hint of surprise stained Sayuri's face. Suzume had spent years cowering from her, struck by fear even with the smallest of steps. But now Suzume glared at her without a single hint of fear in her eyes.

"You have some nerve pointing that disgusting thing at me." Sayuri's voice was as hard as hail.

"Don't tell me that devil still has you wrapped around his finger." Suzume's glare intensified when she drove Feather into Sayuri's neck. The blade barely pierced her skin, only enough to draw blood.

"I won't warn you again. Don't call him that." Suzume felt her teeth clatter. The sound of her teeth grinding in her mouth sounded like plates shattering. It was taking every ounce of willpower to stop Suzume from severing her head. "He's not a devil."

Sayuri's tense glare formed into a thick scowl. "Then what would you call that?" Sayuri gestured with her head, referring to Mei, who stood with an arrogant smile as blue flames and shadows leaked off her new body like a human torch.

"..." Suzume was reluctant to answer. Just seeing Ren in such a corrupted state made Suzume's heart ache. "Hasn't he suffered enough?" Suzume had been by Ren's side throughout most of the year. She had witnessed him during his greatest moments and his lowest.

"A victim." Suzume answered. She stared deep into Ren's red eyes. They burned with a passion that Suzume hadn't seen in him in months. But Suzume knew that look wasn't his. Behind Ren's flaming eyes was someone longing to be saved, just like she wished to be saved so long ago.