Chapter 41: Return

Emerald fibers bonded together forming heavy locks that swayed gently in the breeze. The locks seemed to intertwine with the next forming a shroud of green that rested upon a woman's head.

The woman was a bit on the taller side and held a stockier build. However this wasn't due to her being overweight, but simply the amount of muscle she had on her body.

She arched her back, allowing her upper body to lean forward as she attempted to stretch out her back. With her powerful gesture she let out a soft grunt before the sound of popping and cracking could be heard immediately after.

The woman's ears began to twitch as an unsettling sound plagued her ears. It sounded like the bottom of someone's shoes were repeatedly scraping against the Earth. As she turned her eyes met with a scarlet eyed individual. He held a rather drained grin, but he still kept his joyful demeanor none the less.

The woman's thin lips curled into a soft smile as she quickly approached the boy, seemingly ready to lean for a hug until she stopped herself. She glanced down at her body noticing streams of sweat beginning to fall in the crest between her breast.

She gave him a light laugh before saying "Sorry I'm a bit sweaty..." she then twisted the cap off her bottle and took a swig of water before continuing the conversation further.

Due to the drama that had been going on recently Erica had not spoken to Ren in a few days. She'd normally see him off to school, and he already be asleep by the time she had returned home from work.

Ren seemingly ignored her gesture and walked past her and stopped in front of the small patio table before removing his jacket followed up with his T-shirt revealing a sleeveless shirt underneath.

He cracked his own neck and adjusted his shoulders before looking back at Erica and giving her a serious stare. He rolled his hands quickly allowing his flames to dance around his palms, before allowing them to quickly extinguish.

"Let's do this."

Erica gave him a blank stare as she raised a brow "What happened with the Vermillion girl? Weren't you going over there to talk about something?"

"I did, she will be here in an hour or so. Also I told her we would be eating dinner so..."

Erica rolled her eyes and placed her palm on her hand letting out a heavy sigh "Seriously I wish you gave me a bit of a heads up before inviting people over!"

"Sorry I sorta just ended up forgetting."

"Hm" Erica pressed the bottle against her side as she tapped her foot against the ground repeatedly "Alright then how about a wager?"

"A wager?"

"Yes, if you manage to knock me on my ass I'll cook."

Ren's lips forged into an eager grin as his head dropped in acceptance. Without even saying anything Erica gave Ren a narrow eyed stare which started their brief training session.

Ren leaped forward and extended his right arm fully, he twisted his body in an odd motion almost as if he were dancing. Erica seemed slightly taken back by this before she opened her mouth allowing a river of fire to burst from her throat.

With a quick gesture of his hands, Ren swayed his arms downwards causing the flames to move and be shifted in the opposing direction.

Erica's eyes became gaped as she quickly shut her mouth and bounced off of the dirt preforming a graceful side flip. As the flames traveled beneath her, her eyes slowly brightened changing from their usual caramel to a golden ball of light.

"When did he learn to manipulate someone else's flames..."

Before she could even come up with a logical answer Ren's body continued to move in an odd motion. He made a small twirl with his hips before stretching out his palm and raising it upwards.