Hundred Ninety

Scott woke up the next morning, only to see Mitch laying on one side of him, and Kirstie laying on the other.

Kevin was reclined in one of the chairs in the corner of the room, with Avi sleeping on the ground in front of him.

Alex walked back into the room, with a small stain on the front of his shirt. He walked over to the bag he brought, and grabbed a shirt to change into. He looked around the room to see if anyone was awake, missing Scott's eyes, and then deciding it was okay to change right there.

Mitch woke up too, taking a moment to fully remember where he was and what was going on. He put a hand on Scott's chest, and followed his eyes as Scott watched Alex change.

Mitch squinted at Scott for a second, curious why he wasn't looking away.

He sat up suddenly, only to look at Scott's waist.

Scott saw him, and eyed him. "What are you--?"

"Just checking for a boner."

"A boner? From what? Did you do something sexy, and I missed it?"

"No, but the entire time you've been staring at Alex I don't think I've seen you blink yet."

"I wasn't staring at him, I just--"

Alex had a shirt on now, and he turned with a frown. "Guys, come on. I can't handle anymore arguing."

Scott sighed in defeat. "Okay... Fine. I was staring at him. And I'm sorry, Mitchie."

Mitch decided to play devil's advocate. "So.. What if I wasn't here? Would you have--?'

"No, Mitch. No of course not! I was just-- I'm so sorry, Mitch, I'll never look at anyone ever again."

"I mean I understand that he's crazy attractive. Hate to disappoint you with a body like mine."

Scott grabbed him in a tight hug. "Oh my God, you're so gorgeous don't even talk like that. I'm so fucking sorry, Mitch, I didn't mean to betray you, I promise I'll never look at anyone, I won't even speak to Alex if that'll make you feel better. Let's do body positivity all day, and--and I'll take care of you tonight and--"

Avi groaned. "Christ, Mitch, you know better than to do that to him."

Scott didn't stop. "Shut up, Avi, my baby needs to know how fucking beautiful and glorious and out of my league he is."

Avi rolled his eyes. "You broke him, Mitch."

Mitch only giggled. "Sorry... I love you, Scott. It's okay. I know Alex is hot. And I know that you think I'm beautiful. It's okay."

Scott frowned at him. "Are you sure..? I didn't mean to make you upset. I shouldn't have looked. I'm sorry." He rushed it all out, as if he was waiting for Mitch to interrupt him.

"Honey, it's fine. Sorry, I shouldn't have pushed you like that." Mitch kissed him once, and smiled a little. "I just like hearing you fight for me."

*

Kirstie helped Kevin clean up the backyard, picking up the trash around the pool.

Mitch was holding a stack of used red solo cups, and he was curious to see how many he could collect.

Kirstie walked over to him and bumped his hip lightly. "Hey, birthday boy. Do you feel any older?"

"No. Not really."

"You sound upset... Is Scott doing alright?"

"Yeah. He's still in bed I think. Avi wanted to stay with him for a while."

"And how do you feel?"

"I'm okay I guess... I feel really bad."

Kirstie looked away for a second, and then looked back. "Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah, of course."

"If... If he'd have popped the question, would you have said no?"

Mitch paused to think. "I don't know... I.. I don't think so."

"You'd have said yes? Even though you're not ready?"

"Well... I love him, and I trust him. And... The only way to be ready, is to just... Go for it, I guess."

"Explain that to me?"

"Like... I've heard that the only way to cure writer's block, is to write. So maybe the only way to feel better about it, is to do it."

"But... Yesterday you told him--"

"I know I did. I know, but... It's different now. Because... Thinking about marrying him made me realize how much I want to. I just... Thought he and I both agreed that it was too soon."

"Well apparently not. So you're saying... If he walked out here and asked you right now, you'd say yes?"

"I think I would... Yeah."

"Mitchie, this is important. You think you would? Or you know you would?"

He looked up at her. "I know I would, Kit... I love him."

Kirstie smiled at him. "I know you do."

Kevin couldn't help but interject, from where he was standing a few feet away. "Are you sure, Mitch? I just don't want you jumping into something you're not ready for."

Mitch turned to look at him. "I know... And thank you for looking out for me, just... I can't picture my future without him in it."

"I understand."

"And... I know he has a problem with commitment, just like Avi did at first with Alex. So... For him to want to commit to me like that, is super important. And... He put himself out there for me, and it was fucking shitty of me to dismiss it as a casual thing."

*

Avi skipped down the stairs, leaving Scott in Kevin's room for some more alone time. 

Avi then bumped into Alex's shoulder, as Alex wiped down some of the wooden furniture. Avi winked at him. "What's up, babe?"

Alex turned to him with a frown. "I had to listen to Scott and Mitch argue about how attractive they think I am."

"I know. I was awake."

"So? You don't think it was weird and uncomfortable?"

"Not really. I mean... I agree with them. You're hot, Lex. Hate to break it to you. Also, speaking of, what the fuck was that guys problem last night? Does he get off on fat shaming people that aren't fat?"

"I don't--"

"Because I can think of a few other things he should be spending his time on. Like... Exercise."

Alex smiled a little, and patted Avi's shoulder once before walking past him. "Just an asshole from school, Avi."

"Y'know, I asked Mitch about it." Avi began, crossing his arms over his chest. 

Alex stopped walking, but didn't turn. "So?"

"So... He said that there was a kid named Sam that you dated once. Convenient, huh?"

"So? You haven't told me about all of your ex's."

"But if I'd known he was an ex, I could've punched the shit out of him yesterday."

"Maybe it's best if you don't know, then."

Scott suddenly came down the stairs, his eyes wide as if he were shocked about something.

Avi turned halfway. "Scott, what are you--?"

Scott held up the little box in his hand. "Avi, I need you to get out of my way."

Avi squinted at him a little. "What the fuck do you think you're doing?"

"I just... I need to be sure."

**