Twenty One

After school, Scott and Mitch held hands as they walked to Scott's car.

Mitch was telling Scott all about his day, when a group of a few of the football players threw a slur at Mitch without Mitch really hearing it.

Scott wasn't listening either, as he'd been perfectly atuned to Mitch's words.

Avi happened to walk over right then, and he's the one that heard it, as the slur was tossed out a second time. "What the fuck?"

Scott turned to look at the group, and his eyes narrowed as he took a step toward them. "I'm sorry?"

The largest of the jocks spoke out loudly, without caution. "Just callin' out the fairy you've got hangin' on your arm."

"Yes. But for what purpose?"

A few of them just laughed in response, none of them having anything intelligent to say.

Avi stepped in too. "Watch your mouth, dumbass."

"Are you gonna make me, Eyeliner?"

"Maybe I am."

"I'd like to see you try."

"Just because you're on the football team doesn't make you hot shit. You can throw a ball. Hooray for you. I can take out my piercings and carve out your intest--"

"Avi." Scott snapped, not wanting Mitch to be exposed to his graphic language.

Avi stopped speaking, but his eyes remained dangerous.

Mitch was standing behind Scott, and he tugged on his shirt a little. "Let's go, Scott."

"You should listen to your twink." One of the jocks sneered. "Might save you from a humiliating fight."

Scott turned quickly. "What did you just say?"

"Sorry, man. I call 'em like I see 'em."

Alex came out of nowhere, walking over to the football players. "And what do you think you're doing? Trying to get kicked off the team?"

"Get out of here, Soccer Captain. You have no power here."

A few of the football players laughed, though Alex was unfazed.

He blinked at them. "I'm sorry that you're intimidated by my success in sports. Maybe you'll get there too someday."

The football players didn't appreciate that very much, as one stood up to size Alex up. "I'm more successful than you'll ever be!"

"Sure." Alex turned to leave, but was grabbed by the arm. "Don't touch--"

And that's when someone swung, and all Hell broke loose.

Alex nearly lost his balance as he absorbed the hit, but Scott was there to steady him.

Avi immediately turned to return a punch in the team's direction, but Scott moved in front of him to stop him, knowing he'd only get in trouble.

Avi didn't appreciate that at all. "Scott, get the fuck outta my way!"

"No." Scott turned around toward the football team. "And unless you'd like to get removed from your team, I suggest you stop too."

The one that hit Alex, seemed to be running on adrenaline now. "Fucking make me! You fucking fag--!"

Avi took a step toward him to interupt. "I'd choose those words very carefully if I were you."

"Why? I'm not afraid of you!"

"You fuckin' should be." Avi grumbled, before turning on his heel to leave the situation before he got too heated.

He only turned when he heard a punch land, a gasp, and then the football team all started to protest loudly.

Avi then saw Scott cradling his jaw with one hand, and gripping one of their necks with the other.

Scott brought him closer with the grip on his throat, his eyes boring into the fearful ones in front of him. "Say it again, I fucking dare you. And I'll humiliate you in front of your team."

The football player shook his head, the others around him trying to push Scott off, though Scott didn't budge at all.

Scott then pushed him away, giving his neck one last squeeze, before he turned to carry on with his day.

Alex hurried over to Avi, as Scott grabbed Mitch's hand, and they all walked off.

Scott stopped once, glanced behind himself at the team, and then gently grabbed the back of Mitch's hair to tilt his head back, and kiss him rather aggressively.

He pulled away, immediately looking back toward the team as if to challenge them to speak up about it, but none of them did.

They continued walking, out the school and into the parking lot, before Alex stopped, knowing his car was in a different spot than the rest of theirs. "So... Um. I'll see you guys tomorrow?"

Kirstie came running over then. She'd been unlocking her car to go home for the day, but when she saw them she wanted to say hi.

She stopped beside Alex. "Hi, guys! Where are you all--? Oh my God. Alex, are you okay?"

Alex brought a hand up to cover his cheek where he'd been hit, because apparently it was more noticeable than he thought it would be. "Yeah. I'm fine."

Kirstie frowned up at him. "What happened?"

Alex just shook his head. "Nothing. So tomorrow, guys? See you later."

Kirstie hurried to follow him as he walked away. "Don't lie to me. Alex, please. Are you okay?"

"Yeah... I'm fine."

Avi watched them rush off, and then gave Scott a nod, before heading in a different direction toward his own car.

Scott took Mitch's hand into his own, and wandered another way to find his car as well.

Mitch wasn't speaking at all, but the way he was biting his lip told Scott that Mitch was definitely going to say something to him when they were in the privacy of their vehicle.

So when Scott closed his door, and Mitch closed his, Scott just waited.

Mitch shook his head slowly. "Scott... You know better than that. What if you get in trouble?"

"What if I do?"

"You can only get suspended so many times, Scott."

"You don't have to tell me that."

"And you're okay with that? Getting suspended so many times that you're torn away from me?"

"Mitch, when did I ever say--?"

"Because that's what you're working toward."

Scott turned toward him, eyes narrowed a little. "Are you..? You're mad at me? Even though I was standing up for you?" He demanded.

"I didn't ask you to stand up for me! Especially not if it's going to get you hurt like that!"

"I'm not hurt. Some kid landed a punch, so what? I've dealt with worse."

Mitch shook his head, exasperated, and looked out the window. "Whatever. It doesn't matter."

"It does if it's upsetting you. Please don't bottle this up. Just tell me, so we can deal with it."

"No. I'm not upset. Just... Let's go home. Please."

"Your house, or mine?"

"My house. Please."

Scott frowned, but started the car anyway, as he began to back out of his space. "You don't want to come over?"

"No. I've got homework to do."

Scott nodded a few times. Of course he does. Mitch wouldn't let anything get in the way of his homework.

Scott knew that.

But it feels different this time.

*