Hundred Eighty Nine

(A/N)

I'm posting this early to apologize for accidentally posting this morning xD

Cheers

**

Mitch turned immediately when Scott closed the door.

He hugged Scott tightly. "Please tell me you're okay... Why are you crying?"

Scott hugged him back and didn't speak at first.

"Scott, please... What's going on?"

"Sorry... I wish I didn't do this on your birthday..."

"Honey I don't care about that. So you're not sick..?"

"No, just... Really really sad."

Mitch pulled out of the hug to look at Scott's face. "Why are you sad, baby?"

Scott looked down at the ground. "I feel silly talking about it..."

Mitch's hands slid around to Scott's stomach. "Honey... It's not--" He paused, feeling something cube-like in Scott's side pocket. "What's this..?"

Scott stepped back. "Nothing."

"Why are you carrying around a tiny Rubik's cube?"

"I'm not..."

"Can I see what it is?"

Scott shook his head quickly. "Can I be honest about something really quick?"

"Of course you can."

"Just... I didn't know you didn't want to be married yet..."

Mitch paused, tilting his head. "That's what freaked you out? Oh, honey... I love you so much, and I'd love nothing more than to--"

"But... Not yet."

Mitch put a hand on Scott's arm. "Baby, I'm sorry..." He moved the hand on top of the box in Scott's pocket, his voice suddenly no louder than a whisper. "Was that my present..? You... You were gonna propose..?"

Scott looked down, almost in shame. "No..."

Mitch felt awful. "I'm so sorry... I'm just not ready yet, Scott... I love you so much, but... But we're so young. I just turned 18, babe..."

"I know... I know that... I just can't imagine my life with anyone else. And... I want you to be mine forever..." Scott wiped at one of his eyes.

"Baby, I am yours. I swear that I am. But marriage is a big step."

Scott stepped back again, reaching out for the door handle. "I.. I gotta go, Mitch. I need to be alone for a bit. Please."

Mitch stared at him, putting a hand over his own heart. "Scott, honey... I'm so--"

Scott opened the door. "No, it's fine. I can't force you to be with me." He stumbled back out of the door. "Happy birthday."

Mitch couldn't find the words. "Scott, I love you. I'm so sorry."

"It's fine. I can wait... I can wait for you."

Mitch tried to follow him, pushing into Kevin's bedroom with the others.

Scott laid down on the bed again. "Guys, can I be alone?"

Kevin cleared out immediately, Alex following.

Kirstie walked over to kiss Scott's forehead. "It's okay, sweetie... It's gonna be okay."

Avi waited for her to go, and then walked over too. "You gonna be alright? Want anything? Maybe something to drink?"