Six

Scott kept his promise, and texted Mitch until he fell asleep. They mostly spoke of nonsense, just things to keep Mitch's mind busy.

And Scott did end up actually doing his homework, mind you.

Mostly because Mitch asked him to, and also checked it when Scott walked into the school that morning.

Avi looked over Mitch's shoulder at the paper, almost in admiration. "Wow... I don't think I've ever seen that before."

Scott shrugged, sitting himself down across from the others. "Well usually I hide it from you, because you make fun of me."

"I wouldn't make fun of you for it. I just assumed you didn't do it."

Mitch looked up and caught Scott staring at him, but Scott didn't look away or look shamed at all.

Mitch suddenly leaned forward. "First of all, I'm proud of you for doing your work. Second, you're staring at me, if you didn't notice. And third, will you please come with me to Alex's game tomorrow? Please?"

Scott just looked away. "Mitch, I'm not going to explain it again. I don't do school activities."

"Please? For me?" Mitch stood up slowly, walking over to Scott and standing beside him. "Pretty please?"

Scott looked up at him, finding the angle odd, but still didn't respond.

Mitch groaned, setting his hands on Scott's shoulders. "Please? You don't even have to watch the game. Just keep me company."

Scott leaned away, just to make eye contact easier on his neck. "You owe me so many trips to the janitor's closets."

"So yes?"

"So many blowjobs..."

"So yes?"

"If I have to."

"So yes?"

"Mitch, I gave you my answer."

"But just to be clear as crystal. Yes?"

Scott looked away from him. "Yes."

*

When Scott took Mitch out for lunch, he bought the smaller boy a large slushy of some kind.

He parked in the restaurant's parking lot for them to eat, which is when Mitch brought up Alex's game again.

Scott just glared at him. "I already said yes. What more do you want from me?"

"Will you pick me up early, maybe? And we could go to dinner beforehand or something? Not that I'm like... Asking myself out. It's just a suggestion."

"Sure. I don't care. Just tell me where you'll be, and I'll be there."

"Maybe you could get me like an hour before? Then we can go to the restaurant, and then the game..." Mitch looked down and began talking mostly to himself. "But then you'd have to drive me home and stuff... Maybe I could give you gas money?"

"Mitch, gas isn't an issue. Rick leaves money every time he goes."

"Still. You need that for food and stuff. I shouldn't be using all of it." Mitch started speaking to himself again. "God, I can't believe how selfish I've been. I didn't even think--"

Scott rolled his eyes, turning Mitch's head toward him forcefully with a hand on his jaw before kissing him to interrupt his sentence.

Mitch reciprocated for a few seconds, before he pulled back a little, though Scott kept his hold on Mitch's jaw. "Scott... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to use your money like that."

"Will you stop? I spend money on you because I want to. Because you're important to me.  And I don't eat a lot, so. I don't really have any other use for the money, if that makes you feel any better."

Mitch nodded a few times, bringing his hand up to rest on top of Scott's hand, as they both lay on Mitch's cheek. "But you'll tell me? If you don't have enough money to do something?"

"If that will make you stop feeling guilty, then yeah. But I'm sure it won't happen. Rick knows that he's being a shit father, so he gives me money instead of any kind of love or anything. I have too much to even pretend to know what to do with."

"That doesn't make it okay for me to spend it all."

"Jesus, Mitch." Scott turned his car back on to drive back to the school. "You're not spending anything. I am spending my own money, and you can't tell me what to do with my own goddamn money. Okay? Enough about it."

"Okay. I'm sorry. I just... Don't want to be more of a nuisance than I already am."

Scott actually slammed on the brakes then, halfway out of his parking space. "A nuisance? Are you kidding me?"

Mitch just stared at him. "I just mean that... I ask you for ridiculous favors, I complain about my parents all the time, I rarely ever do the sexual things that you want to do, I overthink too much and it makes you upset, I spend your money--"

"Again with the money! Mitchell Grassi, has it ever occurred to you that maybe I spend time and effort on you because I fucking love you?"

Mitch immediately shut his mouth. "You... What?"

Scott looked away from him, continuing to drive. "Sorry... Forget I said anything."

"No, I--"

"Mitch, please. Drop it."

So he did.

*

Scott literally stared at the clock in his last class for five straight minutes. He was upset at himself for what he'd said to Mitch.

More than that, he was mad at himself for being so preoccupied about it. Mitch had probably already forgotten about it.

So why was it resonating so much with Scott? Maybe he was embarrassed or something.

The instant the bell rang, Scott was out of his seat and out the door. He was outside Mitch's classroom door within a minute, and leaned on the wall outside.

Mitch usually talks to his teacher for a minute or so, but Scott never asks why.

Mitch actually threw the door open, a wide smile on his face, and grabbed Scott in a hug before Scott could even blink.

Scott hugged him after a second. "Hi?"

"Hi! Guess what?! One of my essays was nominated for an award!"

"Congratulations, babe. That's awesome, though it doesn't surprise me at all."

Mitch giggled and moved away from him. "Thank you. I'll tell you if it wins."

"Am I allowed to ask you what the paper was about?"

"Tell you what; If I win, I'll let you read it. Okay?"

"Sounds good." Scott grabbed Mitch's hand, taking Mitch's backpack to carry, and led him toward one of the doors of the school. "So... Want a celebratory ice cream or something? I'm buying."

Mitch grinned widely, stopped walking, and then stood up as tall as he could to kiss Scott. "Yes, please." He mumbled, after he leaned away.

Scott looked around the hallway, seeing only a few people milling around, and then placing his hands on Mitch's hips and pushing him back against the wall of the school.

Scott moved one hand to place on the wall beside Mitch's shoulder, using his other hand to lift Mitch's chin, now that their bodies were against each other. "I'm very proud of you, Mitchie."

Mitch smiled at him, keeping his own arms pressed to the wall beside himself. "Thank you... I'm sure my parents will be too."

"You're right. But my pride is more important than theirs, so."

Mitch giggled, finally moving one hand to rest it on Scott's chest. "Yeah yeah yeah, Mr. Ego. Just kiss me already."

And Scott was happy to oblige.

*