Hundred Fifteen

"I understand. By the way, this teddy bear is so so cute." Mitch giggled, squeezing the stuffed animal.

"Just like you, baby."

Alex suddenly opened the door to peek into the hallway. "Oh, there you are." He looked at Scott's phone then, and grinned. "Hey, Mitch!"

Mitch's eyebrows came together. "Is that Alex?"

Scott turned the phone a little to prove it. "Mhmm."

Mitch glared at Alex. "You asshole, you left me in the lab with Max. I'm mad at you."

"Oh shit. I'm sorry... Does big ol' Scott know about him?"

Scott looked at Mitch. "What about him? Thought he was just a dick."

Alex hummed. "Yeah... Something like that."

Mitch shook his head slowly. "No, it's... I just didn't wanna make you worry. I know you'll be away for a few days, and I don't want you to be thinking about--"

Scott then looked to Alex. "What the fuck happened? Who the Hell is Max?"

Alex shrugged slightly. "Just a kid from AP. Said some shitty things to Mitch a few times, and when I stepped in to be an asshole right back to him, he put a hand on Mitch and then... A whole thing."

Mitch spoke offhandedly, digging through his box of chocolate. "Alex punched him in the teeth."

"No I didn't." Alex chuckled a little. "But I definitely should've. Was shitty of me not to."

Scott spoke up again. "Wait, what the-- Mitch, what the fuck did he say to you? And your teacher is making you fucking work with him?"

Mitch shrugged slightly. "It was nothing, babe. Just a few comments last week. And then I think Thursday or something..? He pushed me and Alex got all up in his face."

"Why didn't you tell me? I'd have been there."

"I know you would've, baby... But it wasn't a big deal. I didn't want you to worry."

"I would much rather be worried, than--"

"Scott, can we not argue? Remember you said you didn't wanna spend our time--"

"That was before I found out that some asshole was being fucking disgusting to you. And he fucking pushed you? Are you fucking kidding?"

Alex leaned over Scott a little to look at Mitch in the screen. "Mitch, I thought he--?"

"Alex, hush. We can talk about this another time." Mitch interrupted.

Scott shook his head slowly. "I can't believe you. So you lied to me?" He took a deep breath. "I gotta go, Mitch. Gotta... Shower or some shit."

"Scott, don't be like that... Please."

"Later." Scott muttered, hanging up and handing his phone over to Alex. "He's gonna call back. I'll be... Somewhere else."

"I know you're upset, but... Why are you talking like that? You and Mitch always figure your shit out."

"I know, but. I can't deal with him lying about shit. There's too much other shit going on with my parents, and I can't-- I just can't. Okay?"

Alex frowned, Mitch's number showing up on Scott's phone. "Scott, he's--"

"Ignore it." Scott started walking down the hall. "I'm getting a bag of chips. Want anything?"

Alex shook his head. "No... I'm okay."

Scott didn't respond, and kept walking.

*