Hundred Eighty Four

Scott was only on the phone for about five minutes. 

"I told you that I was fine, Ma. I sent him to the hospital." A long pause. "Yes, I was released. And I'm fine." Another long pause. "Avi sent you, what?"

Avi looked up from his dinner plate, face full of guilt.

"A picture of my stomach..?" He rolled his eyes suddenly. "It's not that bad, Ma."

Mitch glanced at Avi. "You sent Connie the ultrasound?"

Avi laughed loudly, but Scott tried to lean away from them. 

Connie heard it anyway, and she suddenly spoke loudly in Scott's ear. "Ultras--?! Mitch is pregnant?!"

"No, Ma. He's not pregnant."

Mitch winked at Avi. "Not anymore."

Connie's voice became almost more shrill. "Not any--?! Scott Richard, what the Hell is--?"

"They're just playing around, Ma. Mitch isn't pregnant, and he never has been."

"Promise?"

Scott rolled his eyes and put the phone on speaker. "Mitch, tell my mother that you're not pregnant, you're just being an asshole and saying things that aren't true."

Connie spoke before Mitch could. "Scott Richard, that is no way to speak to your boyfriend!"

Scott looked shocked for a second. "Oh, sorry... I didn't mean to." He looked over at Mitch. "Baby, I'm sorry."

Mitch just giggled. "I forgive you. Connie, I'm not pregnant. I was only kidding."

Connie hummed, and then spoke again. "But maybe someday, right?"

Mitch grinned widely. "I hope so..."

"I hope so too. Scott has been so much happier since you've--"

Scott interrupted. "Mom, please don't. Alex and Avi are listening too."

"So? You say cheesy things all the time in front of everyone."

Avi nodded once. "She's not wrong."

Scott passed the phone to Mitch. "Okay fine. Talk to everyone about me then, I don't care. I have to pee."

Connie laughed a little. "Scott, don't throw a tantrum."

"Don't talk to me like that, Connie. I'm still upset with you."

"Upset with--? For what?"

"For ruining my life?" Scott asked loudly and sarcastically, slamming the bathroom door behind him. 

Mitch pouted at him, and spoke to Connie. "He's still very upset, Ma'am. And... I think he has every right to be."

"But... But he's my son. He should forgive--"

Avi spoke up loudly. "No, he shouldn't. He's his own individual, and you were kind of awful to him."

Alex spoke too, sitting up in his seat. "Ma'am? If I may... Why exactly did you leave? I just have a hard time believing that you overcame your maternal instincts just because you were hurting..."

Connie responded in a sharp, cold tone. "That's not really any of your business."

Alex leaned back. "Oh, my apologies. I didn't mean to--"

Avi spoke over him though, much more relentless than Alex. Also much more willing to come across as rude. "You're his mother for Christ's sake, how could you just leave him there to suffer?"