Thirty Seven

Kirstie had already auditioned and got the lead of another play before the week was up.

Of course Mitch and Kevin had agreed to go, but that was as far as Kirstie had gotten.

Mitch was hoping to speak to the others after school, knowing he'd see Scott and Avi.

It was pure luck when Alex called and asked Scott if he could get a ride after school for some reason Mitch hadn't been paying attention to. 

Scott had rounded them all up after school, before loading them all up into his car. Mitch sat in his rightful seat in the front beside Scott, before he turned around to look at Alex and Avi in the back. "I wanna ask you guys something."

Alex seemed tired for some reason, but he nodded in response. 

Avi nodded as well. "Yeah? What?" 

"Kirstie got the lead in the next play. Will you please come with me to see it?" 

Avi just shrugged. "When?"

"Next week. Friday I think." 

Alex frowned. "I have a game on Friday, Mitch. I'm sorry."

"Can't you come afterwards? It would mean the world to her."

"I can try... I mean... The game is in the afternoon, and plays are usually in the evening right? So I'd be cutting it close." 

"Yeah... But even if you're late... Please just be there? I'll pay for your ticket and everything."

Realization dawned on Alex's face when another thought struck him. "Damn... Wait, I don't know how I'd get back in time. It's like.. School policy we all have to take the bus up to the game, and then we usually get dinner after..." 

Scott looked at him in the rear view mirror, car now stopped behind other high schoolers trying to get out of the parking lot. "I could come get you. Totally not a problem." 

"That would be wonderful, if you could do that. I just have to get my parents to sign a paper, I think." 

Scott looked over at Mitch, placing a hand on Mitch's thigh. "Wait, honey... Isn't Friday the same day as that test?" 

Mitch leaned back in his seat a little. "Oh yeah... But that's okay. I'm sure it wont take very long. I'll be done in time." 

"But if I'm picking up Alex... How are you gonna get home, babe?"

Avi spoke up then, looking out the window. "I think I have a dentist appointment or some shit, but.. You could come with me, and then I can take you home after. It's one of those bullshit check up things. Should only be about 20 minutes." 

Mitch nodded quickly. "Okay. Thanks. We can totally make this work." 

*

The following week consisted of Mitch studying for his test, while also helping Alex study for a completely unrelated test. 

Scott spent most of his time at home doing practically nothing, besides the times Avi or Mitch would come over to make him stop drinking. He also did very minimal homework, and got a new tattoo. 

Kirstie came over to his house once in a panic, because she'd forgotten to sell any of the tickets for the show as her teacher had asked the students to. 

Scott of course bought most of them, keeping enough for his group of friends before giving the rest back to Kirstie to hand out for free to whomever wants them. 

Scott rushed after her when she tried to leave. "Wait, Kirst, are you going door to door? That's not safe." 

"I'm in a crisis, Scott. I don't have that many options."

"Just.. Let me come with you at least? Just to be safe." 

"Are you sure you're not busy?" Kirstie asked quickly, turning to Scott once more. 

Scott squinted at her a little. "Kit, are you..? Feeling okay? You don't look so good."

"No, I'm okay. It's fine if you wanna come with me, I don't care." 

"Do you need to lay down, or..? You look a little pale." He walked forward to place a hand on Kirstie's forehead. "Should I call Mitch and ask? He's better at this stuff." 

"No, I'm okay. I really am. I just... Haven't eaten in a while." 

"Why not?" 

"I haven't gone home yet. I just remembered these stupid tickets, and I've been working on them since school ended." 

"Oh... Well... Let's take a break from that, then. How about... We go get some food, and then I'll drive you around to hand out these tickets? It should be easier now that they're free." 

"That sounds really nice, actually... Are you sure you don't have anywhere to be?"

"Nah. Mitch has been studying all week, so I've been pretty alone recently. Dad's not back for another two weeks... Avi comes over sometimes, though."

"Oh... I'm sorry you're lonely... What about Alex?" 

"Big game coming up... He's been practicing like an NFL player. Says the coach is putting a lot of pressure on him recently... And he's also trying to keep his grades up, which is a whole other thing." 

"Oh wow. I'm sorry, Scott."

"No, it's okay. I know everyone has stuff to do. I'm perfectly happy here by myself."

Kirstie walked forward and looped her arm in with Scott's, locking elbows. "Well, now you're not alone. Let's go get dinner!"

Scott stopped. "Hey, do you wanna leave your car here? I can drive us. There's a car in my garage that Mitch really likes... You might like it too." 

"Why? Is it some fancy sports car or something?" 

Scott just smirked. "You could say that." 

"You have to tell me! What color is it?" 

Scott grabbed the specific set of keys off of the dining room table. "It's black, with two white stripes on the top of it."

"That sounds so cool! Tell me what it is! Why haven't you ever driven it to school?" 

"Don't want to risk her safety with high school drivers." 

"Her?" Kirstie grabbed his arm when he tried to walk away. "You have to tell me!" 

"I know. But the suspense is so funny." 

"Is it a sports car?" 

"Mhmm."

"Did it cost over a million dollars?" 

"Hell yes." 

"Over two million?" 

"Yep." 

Kirstie stopped walking. "Over three?" 

"Mhmm." 

"Holy shit! What is it?!" 

Scott hesitated with his hand on the doorknob that led to the garage. "First of all... It was about 4 and a half. Second of--" 

"What?! Did you invent the internet or something?!"

"Second of all." Scott continued, turning around a little to face her. "Have you ever seen a Lamborghini before?" 

*