Sixty

Alex sat beside him in the car on the way to the hospital. "Excited to see him?"

"Absolutely."

"I can tell."

Scott pulled into the hospital parking lot, before pulling into a spot. "Yeah, well."

Alex glanced over at him, wanting to apologize for irritating him, but also not wanting to speak at all.

Scott got out of the car, grabbing the flowers he'd gotten and then waiting for Alex to follow before he locked the doors.

Scott started walking, but stopped when he realized.

Alex was ahead of him, but he turned when Scott stopped walking. "Forget something?"

Scott stared at the car for a few seconds. "No, I..." He shook his head and looked down at the flowers he'd gotten. "You think he'll like them?"

"Of course he will."

Scott looked up at Alex, and started walking again. "Okay, but... If he doesn't, I'm telling him that you bought them."

Mitch isn't gonna hate them. "Fine."

Scott held the door open for Alex as they walked into the hospital, and then again when they were walking into Mitch's temporary room.

Mitch gasped loudly. "Oh my gosh! Hi Allie!"

Scott paused in the doorway for a second, having to remind himself that Mitch was in fact okay before he could walk in.

He quickly made eye contact with Mitch as he did so, pushing the flowers into Mitch's arms as soon as he could.

Mitch hangs onto him as he does so, pulling him down for a kiss. "I missed you."

Scott couldn't help but hold onto him too, hugging him as well as he could from where he was standing. "I'm absolutely certain that I missed you more."

Alex immediately realized what he was interrupting, and mumbled something about going to the bathroom before he left.

Mitch hugged Scott back, and suddenly heard Scott sniffle a little in his ear. Mitch pushed back. "Babe, no. No more tears, please. I can't deal with how much you're blaming yourself."

Scott stared down at him, his eyes slowly filling with tears. "I should've been there... I almost had you... I could've prevented all of this."

"This is not your fault. Scott, please. I don't wanna argue with you."

Scott stared at him. "But... You're my boy, Mitch... I told you I'd protect you..."

Mitch quickly put both hands on Scott's face, slowly running along his scruff. "Honey... Ever since we met you've protected me from all the bullies and homophobes at our school. But this is so much different."

Scott had to close his eyes as he thought about it. "You're all bruised up again..."

"But it's not your fault, babe. Please... Just stop. Why don't you come lay with me?"

Scott sighed, but obeyed him, laying behind him on his side so there'd be enough room. "I'm sorry. I just want... I want you to be happy, and okay, and..."

"I am okay, Scottie. I'll be back at school soon and it'll be like nothing ever happened."

*

The next day, Scott texted Mitch throughout the entire day, and even asked if he could visit at lunch.